Monday, April 30, 2007

Emotional Infidelity vs. Actual Cheating

Sticking with the topic of infidelity since it's obviously such a controversial one, I have an interesting conundrum for you. Which is worse, emotional infidelity or actual cheating?

We all know what actual cheating is - sleeping with someone else, kissing, basically crossing whatever physical boundaries a couple have agreed in their relationship. Just so we're all on the same page as to what constitutes emotional infidelity, let me give you a little scenario. Ross and Rachel (sorry, those are the first names that came to mind) have been together about three years and there's no doubt for either of them that they're with the person they want to spend the rest of their lives with. Rachel has just had a promotion at work so she's working late and working weekends and when she's not working so hard, she's so exhausted that she either wants to stay at home and sleep or when she's with Ross, she's not much company. This has been going on for about a month and a half.

The company Ross works for is also going through some major changes and there's a lot of pressure on all the employees. One day after work, a bunch of them go to the pub and Ross spends a lot of time talking to a colleague called Hannah. He's always thought she was a nice woman but they'd never really spent any time together. For whatever reason, tonight they get talking and they spend the whole night venting their frustrations about the company and making fun of their colleagues. Over the next couple of weeks, they start going for lunch together and go out occasionally after work with other co-workers. They're always IMing at work, they have in jokes and soon they're sharing the details of their personal lives with each other. They cheer each other up after a particularly hard day at work and they can tell what the other is thinking simply by looking at their face. Rachel's work hours are becoming slightly more normal and she and Ross are spending more time together but when Ross's beloved Chelsea loses a game, the first person he thinks to tell is Hannah, not Rachel. And it's Hannah's opinion he asks for when he's thinking of changing his mortgage provider, and it's her he spends hours venting to when his parents decide to separate after 35 years of marriage. They're both attractive people so it's only a matter of time before they start to fancy each other and Ross starts to wonder if he's with the wrong person. In this particular scenario, nothing ever happens between them.

Is that worse than if Ross had gotten drunk one night and kissed/slept with his ex girlfriend/co-worker/random woman?

For me, emotional infidelity would be much more hurtful than if he had slept with someone else. Partly because I know that realistically at some point (in fact, several points) in a relationship, both parties will be attracted to other people, it's inevitable, people don't stop being attractive just because you're in love. But I believe that the things that would set me apart from the other women are our shared experiences, his feelings for me as a person and the relationship we've built. I guess I'm naive enough to believe that as long as he values all of those things, then I'll always be set apart from other women and it is this that will stop him from cheating on me. That's why it would hurt me so much more to know that he's shared newer, more fun experiences with someone else, and he finds her funnier or smarter or sweeter than me, and he feels something for her that is based on much deeper than just physical. Now here's the conundrum. Even though that would hurt me more, I'd forgive emotional infidelity and if he wanted to work on our relationship then I'd do everything in my power to work on it and make it right again. But I wouldn't forgive physical infidelity even though in some ways, it's the lesser of two evils for me. Does that make sense?

I think it’s because there is an innocence about emotional infidelity. It’s often one of those situations that you’re in before you even realise it. While as far as I’m concerned, whichever way I look at it, if a guy cheated on me, it means he put his needs before my feelings.

What do you guys think? Which would you find harder to forgive? Why?

25 comments:

Jennifer A. said...

Its harder to forgive physical infidelity than emotional infidelity. There's an exchange that takes place between souls during physical intimacy...there's a bond formed that cannot be broken...

Azuka said...

I suppose both would hurt -- very badly, I daresay -- but nothing stops me from ending whatever's going on between my partner and I -- immediately.

LondonBuki said...

Why is my blogger in a foreign language???

"LondonBuki (Uw weergegeven naam in Blogger)"
Neither of them is worse nor better, in my own opinion.

Mr.Fineboy said...

You make a great argument in this post Vickii...it's the first time that i've heard a woman actually draw the line between physical/emotional infidelity. I say it all the time; most times, when men cheat, it's totally physical. Most men can have physical relations without feeling ANYTHING but an outside attraction. Women(generally speaking) on the other hand, usually have some emotional attachment before they can even be physical with a person. It's why men find it harder to forgive infidelity...the feeling is that it's DEEPER than just sex. I think emotional infidelity is worse, but at the end of the day, cheating is cheating, right? It should be detterent enough knowing that the discovery of such a thing would crush your partner either way.

zaiprincesa said...

hmm..its like saying which is the lesser of two evils???..lol..hope thats even correct english. But my point is this, be it physical, spiritual (yes, there is spiritual infidelity..lol), or emotional infidelity, cheating is cheating. One isnt better than the other...ure hurting someone else by cheating on them, means ure hurting someone else by cheating on them, period!..be it a big hurt, or a small hurt. But in terms of forgiveness, its all about how much ure willing to tolerate or what ure willing to compromise on. Its easy for everyone to say, "NO!..Never oh..i cannot forgive if he/she cheats"..but until ure in those shoes, u never really know what ur next move or ur reaction will be.

LondonBuki said...

My comment was shorter than intended...

Like Zai said above - I think they are the same... neither is worse nor better. Cheating is cheating.

Emotional Infidelity - It's hurtful that he is talking to another woman. That he is so close to her that he wants to share his good news with her before me.

Physical - Just the thought of what they got up to... painful!

Miss Az`ure said...

Before I read on...My answer would be Emotional Infidelity if it ever comes down to it...Ok, I'm off 2read d post now.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

i once wrote about this on Uzo's blog when she first moved over to blogger... the line is very thin for me anyways... i group it together... both are horrible... but i think i could forgive the emotional vs the physical... hmmm. I just never want to be in that position ever...

luminousnubian said...

emotional infidelity is hard to deal with or forgive because your partner has opened themselves up to another person but at the same time they have not gotten physically intimate with another person. i would forgive emotional cheating too,perhaps i too am naive and believe that the situation can be fixed, i wont forgive physical infidelity though...strange but true

Anonymous said...

Well I hafta say I am guilty of 'actual cheating' but not emotional infidelity, which I think is way worse.

Naija Vixen said...

both wuld hurt...but i think emotional infidelity will be harder...chai!doesnt even bear thinking!

Uzo said...

Interesting since i figure that this is the difference between what men and women get up to as so nicely put by Mr Fineboy. They would both really suck but the emotional cheating thing might be a harder pill for me to swallow...I think

Mimi said...

Both are the same, but I think Physical cheating is a step further than emotional for me, because simply as a woman, I would tend to relate physical relations with emotional relations,so for the physical to have happened,that means that the emotional already did!!but thats from a woman's point of view.
However, if one were to see it from a man's point of view,i guess physical cheating is the lesser of two evils but at the end of the day..

neither is a good pill to swallow.

Anonymous said...

Rachel n ross-lol....4 me its easier to forgive emotional infidelity..but emotional fidelity really makes you wonder if you were not communicating with ur patner,or there 4 him when he needed you..Emotional fidelity can make u the victim feel inadequate...i mean ur patner was closer to another woman,telling her all his secrets...hmm..sigh

Suby said...

Between a rock and a hard place lol

Uuummmm Vicki why all this about relationships? Me starting to wonder.....

Anyway, simply put, they both bad, bad, bad. Most times when a man cheats it's all physical, Men have a way of diconnecting themselves from the deed where it is 100% physical and 0% emotional, a concept most women just cannot fathom, so if a man now starts to get emotionally attached to a woman is that a bad bad bad thing? Maybe, maybe not, but most men are bad bad bad and yes they can turn it off and on at will (the emotions) so I don't see a right or wrong answer.

For me I see both as bad, it should not happen and men or women should not let themselves get into the kind of position you describe above, any form of cheating emotional or physical is just plain WRONG.

Suby

Mari said...

they are both plain wrong like everyone has said though i think emotional infidelity would be easier to forgive.

Favoured Girl said...

They are both wrong simply because the cheater has gone outside of the bounds of the original relationship. It hurts just imagining either one happening! If I had to choose though I would say emotional cheating was the lesser evil. At least the "deed" hasn't been done yet. Physical cheating can still be prevented. For me the physical act would be worse. That goes on the record forever.

Doc A said...

I've experienced both, definitely not something u want, emotional infidelity usually leads to the physical.

Anonymous said...

nice blog! you should read stella damasus' blog really good too. check it out
http://stelladamasus.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

first of all what you dont kno wont hurt,so if hes cheatin emotionally just dont let me find out,if he did like the other woman id forgive him more easily than if e actually slept with her,at lease he cared enough about me (or had enuff respect) not to make it physical..EVEN though hes attracted to her.
i dont think they can ever be the same thing..emotional..at least they were just talkin..but physical..they actually had SEX!!!...i cant allow dat o!!..someones head must roll..lol

Alepposyria said...

Great topic :) first time for me as well to see a girl making a difference between physical and emotional relatioship.
What I was reading was shocking to me :o(


For me surely the physical one is the less evil and I am a man.

Apparently this is it men think physical is easier and women think the contrary.
Physical one could be sth that last for 15 mins. It dosent mean that this person is more interesting than your partner or you feel better with her or she's nicer or anth. it's not justified but it's superficiel.

Emotional one means that you are involved in sth for a long periode or time, you find some thgs in this person that you dont find in your partner, feelings that you were showing to your partner for a while wasent real. That can last for years "usually emotional one lead to physical".


when girls were commenting here and mentioned that physical cheating is worst, thought that emotions must be involved in the physical one!


After all: Both are wrong..

diary of a G said...

both forget all that
young people think they know what
they want
aint no settling till bout 30

Unknown said...

Discovered my husband was chatting with other women on a dating web site.

My husband was spending a lot of time on his computer but I had a feeling that something was going on. I ordered FYI-SPY from Fyi-Spy.com, to see who my husband was chatting with online.

I installed FYI-SPY on the computer discovered he was chatting with other women on a dating web site. I confronted him and he admitted the whole thing and promise not to do this again. Thank you for giving me the truth. Recommend this product from Fyi-Spy.com

Check it once and See the difference.

http://www.fyi-spy.com

Anonymous said...

emotional infidelity is worse than physical, they have a relationship that no longer exists in yours. Physical is not easily forgiven but easier, a one night stand is nothing there were no feelings it was just pure sex. I dont see how that even compares to him having a emotional relationship with someone else./

Anonymous said...

Emotional infidelity is hard hard hard to forgive. My wife had a relationship with a former boyfriend, they opened their hearts, they shared expressions of love and affection - and that's what the real threat was to our marriage (even though they didn't have sex). Anyone can have sex, but the emotional closeness that took years to build has been severely damaged