Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My Best Friend's Wedding

My gorgeous younger sister is getting married this Saturday! (Don't you dare tell her I called her gorgeous ... I'll deny it!). On the day of their wedding, her and Gavin would have been together for 2 years and she turns 24 a couple of weeks after the day. People always mention how young she is to be getting married but Kitty has always wanted to get married young. We want a lot of the same things in life; to travel, a career we love, but while I've always wanted to do certain things before I settle down, she has always maintained that she wants to share all the most important and exciting events in her life with someone else. So to me, she isn't too young, she has been ready for a while. And Gavin is amazing! My sister can be stubborn and challenging at times, and years ago I had predicted that she would (or should) end up with someone just like Gavin and I honestly can't think of anyone I would rather marry my sister than him.

Her name is actually Christiana but when we were children, we couldn't pronounce each other's names so my parents shortened them to Vickii and Kitty. Over the following years, she was called everything from Kitty Kitty bang bang (because she always seemed to be breaking something or getting into trouble) or Kitty Kat Copy Cat (because she liked to do everything I did). Our relationship has evolved rather interestingly over the years. When we were younger and we both used to live at home, we were always arguing, then I went away to university and we got along much better because we didn't live together. She came to the same university as me and that was great because we lived near each other but not together, so we would hang out a lot, go out together on Friday nights and generally enjoy each other's company but not annoy each other. I'd say it's more or less the same now, we get along really well but when we go on holiday together, it only takes a few days before we argue about something. I think it's her but she'd probably say it was my fault! I can have more fun with her than anyone else and we're very similar in a lot of ways but she can wind me up like no one else can in literally a matter of seconds, I think she's got it down to an art by now. Those times, I wonder how we're related because all I can see is the differences between us. However Kitty can be so generous, it’s actually unbelievable. She’ll give away something of great value if she thinks you need it without so much as batting an eye. And she will insist you take it. She can be a much better woman than me.

We always laugh about the fact that people can't seem to tell us apart. People that know us both will tell you we look nothing like each other, we have completely different features and apart from the colour of our skin, I can't think of much that we have in common physically. But the number of times people have asked if we are twins is unbelievable. At school, people would sing the theme tune from the TV show 'Sister Sister' when we were walking together and at university, someone would come up to one of us and start having an in depth conversation while we'd be racking our brains trying to figure out on which alcohol fuelled night we'd met them. Then the person would say 'our name' and then we'd realise that they thought I was Christiana or that she was me. And this has happened several times! Honestly, we really don't look alike! She threatens to cut my hair off in the middle of the night because it's always been longer than hers and I've always begrudged her amazing figure, and I don't begrudge it because its amazing but because my sister eats more than anyone you will ever meet (She lived with four boys and they used to call her 'serves four' because she could out-eat all of them) and does little exercise and yet she looks like she should be modelling lingerie.

I'm so excited about the wedding in the way that you can only be when someone that means the world to you gets married. I cried when she told me she was engaged and I guarantee I'll shed a few tears all over my pretty bridesmaid dress at the wedding. I don't know if she'll ever read this but Kitty I love you so much and I can't tell you how happy I am that you've found someone so perfect for you to spend the rest of your life with. I pray you'll be truly happy! I can't wait for the wedding and you really need to re-think that 5 year hiatus before giving me nieces and nephews.

Have a great weekend everyone because I will, and if you guys are really good, I might post up a couple of pictures
from the wedding.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

you sooooo have to share the pics!!! also, does she have a wedding site?

Admin UD said...

I'm very much interested in yur own wedding vickii.

Str8 up, when's da wedding bells ringing?

Naija Vixen said...

Congrats to Kitty (r we allowed to call her that?) I understand the way you feel bout ur sis...i fought with my sis early on and now we get along so fine...will love to see pics from the wedding...have a fab wknd too!!!

Mr.Fineboy said...

Aww, cute post Vickii! Enjoy your weekend....hope Kitty and Gavin have a great wedding, and more importantly a great marriage!

Biodun said...

I love this post girl, I am happy for your sista n she sounds like a great person! We have to see pictures now, lol, pleaseeeeeeee. Reminds me of when my sis got married last year, I cried my eyes out when she left for her husband's house.

Azuka said...

Congratulations to both of you. I hope your sister has a great wedding, and that you get a lot of fun!

Mimi said...

awwwwwwwwww I am happy for your sister!there's nothing wrong with getting married young, as long as you know what you're doing!Pray they have a lovely wedding day and a great marriage!

Anonymous said...

awwww thats so beautiful.. i loved this writeup cos me and my sister are exactly the same way.. i love her more than anybody else on this planet cos shes been through everything in this life with me... she understands me like no one else does but she can piss me off like no one else too... and we always get the twins thing even though we dont look alike either(she's taller and i'm a bit smaller)... i'm happy for your sister and her hubby... i wish them great fun and sucess in their marriage... how beautiful.. and you definitely have to put up pictures... they getting married in england or nigeria? is he nigerian?

Unknown said...

@ anon: She doesn't have a wedding site but I'll definitely post up some pictures.

@ Ugo: Don't hold your breath lol! When are your wedding bells going to be ringing?

@ Naija Vixen: Of course you can call her Kitty and I'll definitely put some pics up. Have a great weekend too.

@ Fine boy: Thank you! I'll pass on your wishes and have a great weekend too!

@ Biodun: Awwww I think I'll be like you, bawling my eyes out at the wedding. I even had tears in my eyes when I was writing this post. You'll get pictures!

@ Azuka: Thank you, I'll be sure to have a fun time. Have a great weekend!

@ Mimi: Thanks for your prayer, have a great weekend!

@ ONB: Great to have you back! He's English and they're getting married in England, though she would have loved to have something in Nigeria (my sister can be the razzest naija person ever)! Have a great weekend hun!

Uzo said...

Awww! Loving this. Please post pictures...And enjoy each moment with her...

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

Wedding fun!!!! you have to email me all the details!!

Dolly said...

Post pictures

I pray they'll live happily forever

Mari said...

All the best to Kitty and dont forgot to send me pics and details. You know I need it..lol

Goin to be out of town this weekend but call me!

TMinx said...

Ohh Vicki you can mail me some pics, pretty please. All the best to Kitty! She sounds great.

CandySprinkles said...

Love your blog :) Hope the wedding went well. Can't wait for details! XX

soul said...

Vickii...:D
I can imagine you crying, I can't imagine you drunk lol. and dang why did I think that you are 24 years old.

erm can I get some wedding cake?

Unknown said...

Congratulations to Kitty and Gavin. Wishing them the very best and a funfilled and harmonious marital life ahead.

Looking forward to having a look at their wedding pictures when you do post them, Vickii.

omohemi Benson said...

Congratulations to your sis,sharing your story reminds me of my younger sis.