Wednesday, May 23, 2007


My Papou

Papou means 'granddad' in Greek. This is a pretty emotional post for me and I guess I'm writing it just so I can express just how I feel about him, even if he won't read it. Papou is technically my step-granddad. My mum's dad died when she was at university so I never met him. My parents moved to Kaduna after they got married and that's where I was born. My Yaya (grandmother) spent a lot of time in Nigeria because that's where her daughter and granddaughter were and it was around this time my dad introduced her to Spyros (Papou), a Greek Cypriot who had spent most of his adult life in Nigeria. They hit it off and have been together ever since.

Papou came from a good family in Cyprus but in those days, only children that demonstrated great academic potential were sent to university and in his family, that person was his brother. Long story short, unsure of what to do with his future, he accepted a job to go and work in Nigeria. I think he was about 18. And he stayed there for the next 35 or so years. I wish I had listened more closely when he would tell us all about his experiences but I guess I just thought we would always be able to hear them again. Now he doesn't remember.

He has always says he spent the best years of his life in Nigeria and reminisces about the hunting, and the parties, the women and the friends. We have so many amazing memories with him and Yaya. They probably feature in all our defining childhood memories because we spent most of our holidays with them and any child will tell you that the school holidays are the absolute best times of childhood. I love Zaria because they lived there, and I love fishing because Papou would take us fishing, I love Xilocastro (where my grandmum has her beach home in Greece) because it's where I go walking with Papou and where I accompany them to the Laiki Agora (the market) to buy the fruit and veg for the week. It is where he swims really far out to sea that I start to follow and then get scared and swim furiously back out while trying to figure out how I'll save him if a shark appears. Our garden in Kaduna looked forward to his visits because he'd plant entire crops that I'd never heard of - Radishes for example - and tend to the crop he'd planted on his last visit. He was such an avid gardener. In fact, when he 'retired' in Nigeria, he became the manager of a huge farm halfway between Kaduna and Zaria where we'd go and visit him in his office and spend the day wandering around the farm, exploring the dams and playing around in his Range Rover; you know, one of the old fashioned ones where the back was open and only covered by a canvas sheet. I used to love riding in the back of that truck.

About four years ago, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and after the initial rapid deterioration of his memory, it has more or less stabilised now but he still forgets so much. For a week up until Kitty's wedding, whenever anyone mentioned the wedding, he would ask, 'Wedding, what wedding? Who is getting married?' And my mother, who believes that it is better to make him use his memory rather than give him the answers, would reply, 'you tell us, who is getting married?’ Funnily, he would always say Gavin's name first and only after more prodding would he remember that Gavin was marrying our Kitty. Then he'd complain that no one had told him about the wedding and no one tells him anything anymore. A week after the wedding, he had forgotten all about it and again the questions started 'what wedding?' It's been really sad to see the change in him, because where he was once a vibrant, very outdoorsy man who loved to read, he is now content to sit quietly and listen to what is going on around him.

But the changes haven't been all bad. He has really mellowed and is just the sweetest man you could ever have the opportunity to meet. He's always eager to please everyone and make everyone feel at home. He is simply amazing! And our relationship hasn't changed. I have a well documented sweet tooth which Yaya has always been very happy to cater to it. Papou also has a sweet tooth and has spent a lifetime teasing me. Yaya makes the best ice cream in the world (I'm not lying, Ben & Jerry's has nothing on her!) and she would make it whenever we came to visit her as children. Papou would tell me that when we went to bed, he would wake up and eat all the ice cream. With a furrowed brow and worry written all over my face, I'd go and confide in Yaya and ask her to please keep an eye on him in the night. Whenever we see each other or talk now, I say that my Yaya has made me Pasta Flora (a Greek pastry and his favourite) but that I'm not sharing it with him. And he'll counter by saying that since his wife made it, it belonged to him and he definitely wouldn’t be giving me any. Back and forth we go like that until one of us says 'Ori o da'. I have no idea how you spell it and even exactly what it means, I just know it's a Yoruba insult. Then the other will reply 'Ori o fo' and so we'll make our way through the 'Ori o' insults and end with 'Oloshi' then we'll laugh and one of us will report the other to my mum or Yaya. I love that even though he's forgotten so much, he still remembers our banter.

I really miss who he used to be but I love who he has become even more.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!i am first..i like ur papou very much...wish i had a papou too

Naija Vixen said...

Your papou sounds lyk a great man...draw your strength from the many wonderful things you did together...all is well. Still waiting for more info bout "Zebra" oh ;-)

Anonymous said...

I got all teary reading this... You are both hilarious! All those insults? LOL!

You've just described a beautiful man and a beautiful relationship.

I think I need to give you some Yoruba lessons, LOL!

TMinx said...

Aww Vicki, well its great that you still have him around. Met only one papou of mine and he died while I was very young. Hope you are good!

Unknown said...

You've got very fond memories of your Granddad and I'm sure you'll cherish them for ever.

Mari said...

Oh thats so sad, your granddad being diagnosed with Alzheimer's but just like calabar gall said, these are really lovely memories you've got.

Your grand mom is the only one I really remember from back in the days. She was always around especially during the holidays. I didn't realize both your grandparents lived in Zaria. I just thought they traveled out to Nigeria often.

Daddy's Girl said...

Beautiful... you obviously have a very special bond with your Papou... I love your last line.

cinnamonqueen said...

Your Papou is a wonderful man, Vickii. You can just tell from the twinkle in his eyes. =)

Dolly said...

You've got very fond memories of your papou, he's such a wonderful man

Uzo said...

oooh so so sweet...alzheimer's really hard to deal with but its so important to cherish every moment with him.....it will be well

Anonymous said...

Aww..sweet.
do you have a cousin called Funmbi?

Anonymous said...

Hey you should have asked me for an image of Papou to go with this write up. Anyway one is winging it's way over to you :d

Suby

Andrew F. Alalade said...

Hi Vickii, thanks for ur comments on my blog.
Really loved your post on ur grandad. I know Alzheimer's is a crazy ailment with no definite treatment but mental-stimualting exercises help. Start by doing more than the 47 sudokus you've already done with him, if you can.
And pls do continue with ur funny banter!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vickii!thanks for stopping by my site.I'm glad you liked it.It was great to read about your grand dad. I wish him the best of health.I liked your other blog too, since I'm a bookworm:)and I'll definitely read Antwone Fisher.Keep in touch and wishing you a very happy Best Friends Day(June 8th)!

omohemi Benson said...

I love your grand dad already, I love the relationship you have and I love the way you wrote this post.


Ps. I like you new template but please change the color of your text,its too light.
my 2 cents,no vex.

Mr.Fineboy said...

Aww...another sweet post. My grandma's got alzheimer's too, so I know exactly what you mean...Papou still sounds great tho! Meanwhile, na your gandpapa you dey call oloshi??? You have liver o! LOL...lovely post.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on finshing your Sue Ryder Race in 30 minutes. Well Done. It just shows you can achieve your goal when you set your mind to it and remain focused.

NaijaBloke said...

Mehnn I thot I was done with the hate I have for people that met their Papou,cos I really did not meet any of mine.My maternal papou actually died like a week before i was born and they decided to give me one of my names "Babajide" meaning "My dad came back" ...

Like ur Papou jere

naijabelle said...

wow! I was tearing up reading this. The memories especially the good times remain and that is what counts

loomnie said...

Really nice post. I was very close to my grandmother. I spent the first four years of my life with her. I was the one who was closest to her of all the children and grandchildren.In a way, I understand what it means to be close to someone who is really far from one in age, but then is patient enough to bear the naïveté anad ignorance of childhood/ teenagehood. I blogged about her death sometime last year http://loomnie.blogspot.com/2006/04/lost-my-grandmother.html

Cherish the memories, of course, but make newer ones still!

Cheetarah said...

aww,dats really sweet..It nice that u'll always have fond memories and u were great paddi's. Me not close to my kaka infact as as kids we were convinced that they didnt like us,coz everytime she said ori o da she meant it:)

oh yeah congrats on ur sis wedding

Noni Moss said...

That is incredibly sweet and your Papou is amazing. I'm sure if he ever saw this or read it - he'd be incredibly touched and proud of his εγγόνι (hoping that means grandchild) and her amazing writing ability.

temmy tayo said...

Arent papous cute and lovely. I miss mine.

Anonymous said...

update pls

Waffarian said...

You have all those beautiful memories, nothing can beat that!

Biodun said...

Wow, I loved this post!! Your papou songs like a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story!

Simply Gorgeous said...

Wow. Vicki this is truly touching. He sounds like such a wonderful person and seems like he has enjoyed and still is enjoying his life.

BiMbyLaDs** said...

hey tiny you, sweet well written story. enjoy him well, and live each day to its fullest with him,..

btw, i have grown 1.1 inches since we last spoke/ saw.. SO THERE!!...
( STICKING OUT TONGUE AND PULLING BOTH EARS)

Andrew F. Alalade said...

Hey Vickii, where are you? Have you resigned from blogsville?

Olawunmi said...

this was touching. beautiful writing as usual vickii. now i need to get my phone so i can tag you!!!

My 2 cents said...

My papou had alzheimers too but for some reason remembered exactly how much money had under his mattress so yo couldn't steal from him. I miss him so much, he passed away 5 year ago. Now I'm tearing up from all this.

Unknown said...

We live difficult lives with grace, like ballet dancers to a poor choreographer. But we do it with style.
Love yourself,

Jim B.