Monday, June 11, 2007

Am I a Bad Feminist because I like Hip Hop?

I am a feminist. An all out, through and through, card-carrying feminist. I'll do a post sometime about what being a feminist means to me but I think most people that know me would definitely agree that I'm quick to adopt a feminist stance in conversations. I also love hip hop music, or at least some hip hop. Sometimes though, I find myself singing along to some song, when slowly the lyrics sink in and I realise that what I'm singing goes against everything I believe in, and often, it's songs I really love. Why does hip hop have to be so ... so ... I'm leaning towards using the word ‘misogynistic’ but I don't think that's accurate. Most rappers don't hate women, it's more that they tend to put them in a tiny box; basically, in hip hop, women are hos, possessions, sex objects, gold diggers; basically a whole lot of unfavourable nouns. You'd think Snoop and Biggy never came across smart, intelligent, independent women. In fact, speaking of Snoop, listen to these words straight from the horse's (so to speak) mouth:

“[Rappers] are not talking about no collegiate basketball girls who have made it to the next level in education and sports. We’re talking about ho’s that’s in the ‘hood that ain’t doing sh–, that’s trying to get a n—a for his money. These are two separate things."

Let's say Snoop has a point - he doesn't, but for the sake of being fair, let's just say he does - If he dislikes those kinds of girls so much, why doesn't he stop rapping about them or at the very least stop sleeping with them and surrounding himself with girls just like them? And has he never met a female lawyer, entrepreneur manager, publicist? Has he never met a non ho-ey woman? Unless he lives in a box, the answer to those questions is yes. So why doesn't he rap about them instead?

To be fair though, if I don't like it, I don't have to listen to it. But you see, therein lies my dilemma. I love a lot of songs that the feminist in me is very opposed to. Let's take 'Nasty Girl' by Biggy and 112. There are few songs guaranteed to get me on the dance floor more than this song but when I first heard it, I couldn't help cringing every time I heard the words 'All my ladies if you feel me grab your titties for B.I.G'. Seriously. Why? And the rest of the lyrics of the song aren't much better either. I'm not saying don't rap about sex, a lot of R&B is about sex, they've just mastered the art of making it ... tasteful, for want of a better word. It's less crude, slightly more subtle and a whole lot less insulting.

There are way too many songs which I personally take offence to but the one that really gets to me at the moment, the song that was the inspiration for this post and (unfortunately) a song I quite like is the 'I'm a Flirt' remix by R.Kelly, T.I and T-Pain. For anyone who hasn't heard it, it's basically R.Kelly saying he is a flirt and warning guys everywhere that if he meets/sees their girlfriends, he's going to flirt with them, and the R.Kelly chat up lines are obviously so persuasive that the guy is probably going to leave without his girlfriend. In his own words, the 'moral of the story is cuff yo bitch, cuz hey I'm black, handsome, I sing plus I'm rich (and I'm a flirt).

This I take huge offence to. He's not even differentiating between different kinds of women, he's basically assuming that if I was in a club with my boyfriend and he was there, I'd be like 'oooh, oooh, baby, it's R.Kelly, it's R.Kelly. Let's go over and talk to him pleeaaassse' and then if he decided to make my night by sleazing on me, I'd go all giggly, toss my hair, turn to boyfriend and say 'don't wait around for me hunny bun, Robert here is going to give me a ride home'. Puhleeze! Even just writing that, I've had to revert to some bimbo stereotype because I honestly can't imagine that he's talking about any of the sort of women I know.

So to recap, I like hip hop but I find a lot of the lyrics insulting. I'm admitting that I'm aware of the double standard so please if I happen to bump into any of you out one fine night/morning, and I happen to be dancing to 'Smack that', please don't tap me on the shoulder and say 'oh, didn't you say in that post....' I'm not saying there aren't women out there who even I have occasionally used the words 'bitch' or 'gold digger' to refer to, I'm simply saying they're not the only women in the world and I'm pretty they aren't the only women most hip hop artists come in contact with so why are they the only ones we hear about?

I want to point out that my hip hop taste is pretty commercial and also not the most extensive, so if this doesn't apply to all hip hop artists, I'm more than happy to hear about the exceptions!

21 comments:

Noni Moss said...

Nyuck nyuck - FIRST!!!

I knew you were jobless at work! Off to read the post

Noni Moss said...

Loll - you need to listen to Common & Talib Kweli. They are not all bad and misogynistic. I totally get what you mean though - I like Shyne - Get out and that's pretty rude, plus i sing along with Snoop and the worst of them.

Mimi said...

lol babe! i was nodding my head when i got to the 'nasty girl' part.

i used to cringe as in badly cringe when it got to the 'grab you ----' i even skip it (lol i just did in writing), bu then the beat is so infectious!

i totally understand where you are coming from but like noni moss said, talib and common are more of word-poets who perform hip-hop as well, they are often more respectful. but its hard to find hip-hop artists that are positive about women.

BlogVille Idol said...

HEY PEOPLE..THE BLOGVILLE IDOL CONTEST HAS STARTED GO TO OUR PAGE AND LISTEN VIA THE VOICE PLAYER and VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE CONTESTANt VIA THE VOTING POLL..PLS SPREAD THE WORD

mochafella said...

You might consider Mos Def, the Roots.

Azuka said...

Classical's the path I walk. But who does waltzes in this age? :-D

Mari said...

I know what you mean. I complain about the lyrics as well but that doesn't stop me from having a good time when I go clubbing. I just don't listen to this genre of music at home or in the car. I don't even watch music videos either.

ps. Did you get the email with the pics yet?

soul said...

Isn't that interesting...
I personally do not identify as a feminist, the reasons are long and tedious, (I won't bore you with them).
And I used to love hip-hop.
I don't anymore, cos hip-hop forgot itse;f and became hip-pop. And rappers got carried away with the misogynistic bollocks.
I mean you can't even bop your head to a good beat no more without some rapper talking about all bitches and ho's and shit.
or some childish stupid ass beef with another rapper because they wear the wrong shoes or some shit like that.

It's ironic though, these same guys who curse the girls because of their money are the one's who have no personality and have to buy girls for with their money.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind cursing, I swear like a sailor with the best of them, but come on.. day in , day out?. Damn.
I swear the merging of gangsta rap with hip-hop was a tragedy.

Waffarian said...

NAIJA BLOGGERS- THE BOOK!
Dear friends, please do not forget to send in your submissions, a lot of people have sent in great stuff but a lot of my favourite bloggers are missing, what's up, people? Come on, send in your stuff! June 15th is the last day, come on!


Submissions should be sent to nigerianbloggers@yahoo.com not later than Friday, June the 15th 2007 stating date of blogging and blogname/address.

Waffarian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Uzo said...

I was going to do a post on this especially after i sat down and thought really hard about the uproar over Imus' comments and him getting axed and the fact that the black community did not use the same standards to measure their own - the hip hop artists especially..

Well said Vicki. Well said...

zaiprincesa said...

Insightful post mami...
Sometimes i'll be blasting some song and really jamming in my car...and for a second i'll pause to really listen to the lyrics..and im ashamed at the derogatory and demeaning words that im bopping my head to...

Mr.Fineboy said...

Yup, i feel u on this post...it's too true, but remember, these guys come from a totally different world. I've hung out with people in America who literally do not use the words 'woman' or 'girl,' it's just b's and h's.
It's a weird feeling to enjoy music and hate certain parts...it's like when I hear the n word in rap sometimes, it just makes me cringe. Majority of the people who buy hip hop are not even black! We then expect them not to think or say the "N"word. Hmm, great post Vickii, you should listen to Jay-Z's "Sisters and B***hes" for what it's worth.

TMinx said...

I'm with you girl, all I can say is that its the DEVIL!lol. Seriously though they have mastered the art of makin good beats and there is nothing like a good beat but I always liked Soulful music, you won't see me buying Snoops album but in a club, whatever is on with a good beat will get me dancing. These offensive lyrics are all over the radio etc, its hard not to hum to them. And don't get me started on those rap videos, and Nigerian musicians are taking that concept to another level.

Suby said...

Interesting read, but the thing is as well as there been women like you out there who are offended by the lyrics of songs like "I'm a flirt" there are also girls out there who will be wishing they do meet R Kelly in a club, if they have their BFs in tow, oh wellhe either recognise (after all it is R KELLY) or quickly become an Ex LOL

Just saying it's some females out there who give the females of this world a bad name, so give a man an inch, he will take a million :)

Suby

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

majority of hip hop artists are bad and whatever the other big word you used isLOL! im not a huge fan of hip hop and i rarely listen to rap unless in out in a club cos those comments doesnt sit well with me at all. Give me some R and B anytime!

My 2 cents said...

Hi vickie, long time reader, first time commentor.

I panic at the double standard invloved in hip hop cause in my case, I have been afraid to say I love hip hop at times, cause in my line of work you could be termed unserious.

I have had a lot of clients that are hip hop artists and in wanting to remain professional, I'd act pseudo- anti hiphop, but please believe I plug my Ipod in my ear and listen to the "smack that" or any jazzy fizzle production lol!.
I owe no one any apologies as I made my choice but I find your argument quite interesting.

Suby said...

Waiting on your next post :d

Suby

Discombobulated Diva said...

I am not a big fan on hip hop myself, but i do listen to it... and I am definitely a feminist as well... i think its about finding that balance... you should stand your ground, but that doesnt' mean you can't listen to hip hip...

and i have to agree with Noni, Common is a great, under appreciated, artist...

~DD

Anonymous said...

I am a massive hip-hop fan, and there is a bit of a dichotomy like you said, but please don't write off hip hop just because those are the artists that get the most publicity. I could go on for eons giving alternatives, hell I could even email some to you, just to give hip hop a chance. Like mr fineboy said... sister and b***hes is a good listen, but more than the jiggas, talibs and commons, check out murs- the pain, little brother- take it slow, j-live - like this anna, outkast- jazzy belle, kidz in the hall - hypocrite

and to soul, gangsta rap didn't kill hip-hop thought I'll admit its commercial success was a double edged sword. But if the record labels didn't treat non formulaic rap like it's generally worthless, then we probably would never have found out why mims is hot!....

diary of a G said...

cos it's way more fun rappin about hoes, than up tight feminist girls like you
think about it!

Diary of a g was here