Thursday, June 28, 2007

I feel like my last few posts have been kind of intense so I'm going to lighten the mood …

Sex and an Oh So Fabulous City!

WOW! I'm very surprised it's taken me so long to write about the most amazing show in the history of television ... ever!

I was doing my A-levels when Sex and the City began and a friend of mine; Michelle was obsessed with it but nothing she said managed to convince me it was any good, and the one embarrassing episode (embarrassing because I watched in with my mum and spent the whole 25 or so minutes squirming) I caught did nothing to change my mind.

Fast forward three years, I was in my second year of university, and had just moved into a house with three girls. One of them was given the first two series' on video as well as a load of 'Friends' videos and believe me when I say that for the next two years, whenever one of us was in the lounge, 'SATC' or 'Friends' would be on the TV. And when the new series started and they moved the day it showed to Wednesday, we stopped going out on Wednesday nights even though that was our favourite night of the week to go out! I think it's fair to say I've watched every single episode at least 20 times and yet, I still find them just as funny and as interesting as ever! At least once a year, I get out my SATC DVDs and start from the very first episode, and watch them all through till the very end.

Why do I love SATC so much? Hmmm, Carrie's fabulous outfits are just one of the reasons. Her outfits were very often amazing and sometimes downright cringe-worthy but every single thing that woman wore was a conversation piece! I haven't even got the time to go into my love affair with most of the dresses she wore in the final season but let us just say there are very few things I wouldn't do for a lot of her clothes and I think it's fair to say there is nothing Noni wouldn't do for her shoes! I also loved Charlotte's wardrobe and she's definitely been an influence on my fascination with 50s style dresses.

Ultimately though, it's not the great outfits that made this show the hit that it was; it was the fabulous characters. Funnily enough, despite my fascination with her style, Carrie was actually my least favourite character. She was way too 'me, me, me'. My absolute favourite character has to be Samantha. I just adore her chutzpah. Samantha knew who she was, what she liked and didn't give a flying frick what anybody thought about her. In fact, I think she's the only person I've ever known of, real or fictional, that has managed to achieve this feat. While I love Samantha though, I'm probably a mix of Miranda and Charlotte. Deduce from that what you want.

And though part of the reason I love the show so much is for its highly entertaining content, I think I have learned a lot from the show and I genuinely feel that I'm a better person for having watched it ... Really! Before SATC, it was unthinkable that women would choose to be single in their thirties (and forties, in Samantha's case) and have such a fabulously fun time doing it. And Berger telling Miranda (about a guy that she went on a date with and who never called her) that 'he's just not that into you' transformed the way I think about guys and I love the fact that all the girls end up with the good guy in the end. Who can forget Charlotte's husband Harry who is nothing like the guy she envisioned she'd end up marrying and the way he turns out to be the most loving, supportive husband a girl could wish for. And Steve; Miranda's long suffering boyfriend turned husband who manages to take the girl out of the city (to Brooklyn) and puts up with her become while she becomes an amazing mother, wife and person in general. And gorgeous Smith, the man who manages to get Samantha to finally settle down with one man! The only person who I wasn't happy with was Big. As far as I'm concerned, he messed Carrie about way too much; she should never have ended up with him. Plus, I loved Aidan and think he's the one she should have ended up with!

I challenge you to find someone who was more ecstatic than me when the movie finally got the go ahead! It might be a couple of years till it hits the big screen but Noni and I have already made a date to dress up to the nines and go and watch it on the very first day of release. Then go for dinner after and spend the next several hours (probably days, if we're being honest) dissecting every outfit and storyline! Till then, please keep me entertained and tell me your favourite SATC character is? Or who are you are most like ... and why?

19 comments:

classybabe said...

Has Kim finally decided to do the movie?My favourite character was Carrie,her relationship with big mirrored mine with my ex.I loved Samantha's boyfriend(the one she ended with),he was hot!

Noni Moss said...

Oh Vickii Vickii Vickii...

To say you were right is an understatement - loll - I'm suprised I haven't written about this yet either.

I LOVE SEX AND THE CITY AND MY DARLING - I THINK I WOULD SO RIVAL YOU ON THE ESTATIC SCALES about the movie!!!

Why did i love SATC soo much? It was everything. I watched it from day one of when it aired here and never missed an episode. I am the undisputed queen of SATC trivia. The script/dialogue/characters/CLOTHES/SHOES EVERYTHING! hooked me. Have I said how much i LOVE(d) the show?

Carrie was my favourite. She was all drama much like I was then. I think I had a bit of everyone though. Carrie and her relationship issues was all me - I fell totally in love with BIG right from his abso-fucking-lutely which was delivered with such genius aplomb, the man deserves his own universe. He was dark, broody, sexy, and totally unable to commit. Yet he loved her and oh e loved her and that soo completely got me hooked.

I'm part Samantha - cos i can be a bit daring and aggresive - i like to experiment in bed and most things and totally love that Brazen side of her. The Miranda side of me as the career driven, totally motivated woman, while the Charlotte was the sweet, friendly warm side my close friends and family see.

My favourite character as Carrie though. Needless to see, I had shoe envy. She is my role model. Her dress style - to die for. I wish I had her body - if i did, WHOA!!! Forget me and the things I would wear. Unfortunately, practicality about my size as well as my budget limits me but in terms of accessories - i'm soo there. I loved Samantha's dress sense as well as she dressed quite sexily and had a generally great dress sense. Very rarely did i see her wear somethign and wince. Carrie however - even in her worst moments, still managed to do something fabulous.

As for the last season, hmmm those clothes - they soo pulled out the stops for all of them. My favourite bit is when Carrie leaves new york. That pink forthy concoction that just looked like strawberry cream in swirls - to die for. Even better than the gray fluff of heaven she wore in Pais when she's all spread out over the bed. That scene when BIG finally gets his act together and trys to tell her not to go to Paris and she just screams "BUT NOTHING!!!!..." I almost died. My heart like literally almost stopped.
(Btw - i totally loved Aidan as well. I was crushed the first time she cheated on him with BIG as i was soo torn - i mean it's Aidan and he's the sweetest guy on earth who was doing up her house for her, but then it was BIG, BIG - THE BIG - there was just no winning)

I feel I have about written the length of this post in my comment as well so i'd better stop but SATC rules! It is still so the best show ever! The movie ..... SOOO CANNOT WAIT. If you happen to see 2 women, in ridiculous OTT ballgowns and shoes on the first day of the movie at the cinema? - :-D come say hi!

Mimi said...

hhmm i cant simply go on about how i loved SATC but i started with them and ended with them (meaning i started with the first episode and ended with the last, same with friends, guess i was just sooo lucky!)


anyway, i am most like Charlotte :) yea yea yea...well i am not that! crazy to get a man (and even if i didnt have one, i wouldnt be that crazy) but i am most like her (perfectionist, goody two shoes etc) then the once in the blue moon surprises

BlogVille Idol said...

hey pple,blogville idol is finally coming to an end...we have two contestants left and they have sung their songs,pls go to out page and listen to them via our voice player and vote for them on d vote poll..pls leave us a comment too...tank u for ur support thru out the contest

Uzo said...

I am more like Charlotte with a bit of Samantha in there. Deduce from that what you want.

I was soooo mad that Carrie ended up with Big..and like you, i thought Aidan was the man. Was the man. Aidan ....such a cool cat.

The fact that the ladies ended up with the most interesting character is sooooo typical and really reflective of what actually happens. Everyone i know who is married or in a serious relationship will tell u that their chosen one would never ever have appealed to them.

Carrie's shoes were great..Her outfits were interesting. One of my favorites is the newspaper print dress she wore to a restaurant and one of the worst - those blue/purple shorts that looked like nappies...

I love the episodes about Charlotte's marriage to Trey and their attempts to consumate their union, any episodes with aidanand the Natasha episodes...Oh and of course the ones with smith and the episode where carrie's shoes r stolen...LOL

Okay so i love the whole series...

Naija Vixen said...

Lol...let me see? Carrie prob'ly is my fave character...but your love for the show mosdef outweighs mine!

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i think the show was soo good that a movie would not live up to it.. i have to loan your dvd's sometime..i cant say i've watched every single episode!!

Suby said...

God cuz, you are as sad as Sinem, crying on the bed during the last episode of Sex &...., as she said, she was crying cause it was such a sweet ending and the fact it was the last episode or something like that, you women sure are a soapy bunch. DANG.

Suby (The Alpha Male)

cinnamonqueen said...

hey babe!

I am now officially on blogspot! yup!

I so feel you on satc - and yes, indeed i cried throughout the last ever episode. When you realise just how much four fictional characters have become people you've come to know and love, from your single girl days in a bedsit in London into your 'smug couple up life' in Milton Keynes, seeing them for the last time is heart-breaking. Hence it was heartbreaking to part with ma girls!

I think I am most like Carrie, the contemplative, over-analysing, sensitive one of the four. Yet I admire Samantha's bravado, Miranda's drive and Charlotte's courage in taking a risk on a guy who was far from her ideal dream man.

I guess that's it from me. Come visit 'my little world' any time you like my dear.

x
Sin

ps: What's up with the new books for the book club?

naijabelle said...

Shame i didn't start watching it till the second series but i loved that sitcom! It was everything that represented the modern woman.I loved charlotte there was just this innocence and grace about her and the character. It's my feel good remedy guaranteed to always put a smile on my face with a tub of hageen daz strawberry cheesecake!

Mari said...

Do we share a brain? Coz just like you, Carrie was my least fav. xter (but SJP is one of my fav. actress & fashion icons), Sam my fav. xter.
I also think I'm a mix of Miranda and Charlotte.
I'm going to do a collection of SATC dvds + the movie, anything I can get my hands on.

Have you been Bitten?

LondonBuki said...

I never really had a favourite character... each and everyone made me laugh and each and everyone made me want to strangle them! LOL!!!

Who am I most like? Hmmmm.... I know I am nothing like Carrie or Charlotte so maybe a mix of Miranda and Samantha. I wonder what my friends think though...

And... Carrie shouldn't have ended up with Big, I didn't like that.

LondonBuki said...

Excuse me... so you and Noni will really realy dress up to watch the SATC movie...?

Now, this I must see! :-)

Anonymous said...

oh i haven't watched the finale.. so perhaps i'm not as big a fan as you and noni.. actually i'm sure i'm not.. loved em and their dress sense.. well most of the time... carrie had a love for manolos unlike anything i've ever known.. lmao@ you and noni dressing up.. you guys are just jokers.. i love it! hmm.. who am i most like? probably carrie bcos she loves something and sticks to it.. i'm the same way with my heels and dresses although of course most of them aren't as glorious as hers...but i dont really let guys mess me about like that.. doesnt matter how much they love me or i them.. in that case.. i'm most like samantha.. i know what i want.. and i also know when it doesnt work for me anymore... not like miranda at al.. found her too whiny.. hated her dress sense.. not really like charlotte the nurturer.. although i'm sure in the next 7 or 10 years.. i'd want to be... worreva.. she did have a body on her though... my dress sense is most like samanthas.. i take a few risks.. but i pretty much know what works for my body... and stick around it...

omohemi Benson said...

When I first heard about sex and city, I was like oh! well! another one of all this oyinbo unrealistic series, until I watched it.
Forgive me but I was like what? do women really have fun like this and talk about it?
I have not watched the final series but I enjoyed every series I ever watched.

I liked samantha,cos she knew what she wanted and went for it, no buts.
Maybe am just not fashionable but I think, Currie usually dressed funny.
Will love to see the movie too.

soul said...

okay so erm...I liked sex and the city lol.
I actually really did and I suppose I liked cos it was just a show about 4 women who largely weren't afraid of just being women.
Whether that was overtly 'go getter' like... or sweet and incredibly sanitized view of the world or just out there are bumbling. I liked it alot.
I liked that the friends just met and talked .. really just let it out and even though they all didn't always agree with each other, they were always there for each other...
I liked carrie. I thought she was cool but I always wonderde how many cigarettes she smoked in a day cos boy that girl smoked non stop.
I think I have a lil bit of all of them in me, but my real inner person is probably more Carrie.
Charlotte was kinda my least favourite.. she just whined too darn much lol.. but I also kinda felt the need to protect her.
Samantha I loved cos she just had spunk, ironically I felt the need to protect her to.
Samantha I thought would always figure something out... I hated the Russian story line.. and I wanted her to knee Mr. Big in the bollocks lol.

Aiden.... dear, sweet, tall, all American Aiden. Dear God.. I had a crush on that man.. I loved his city boy ruggedness lol.. and charm
yep.. Aiden was the man.. Now erm where is his fan club...

Biodun said...

Thanks for this post, lol, I love, love, SATC n I think I have seen some episodes 5 or more times! I think I am a lil of each girl but in general, I am more of a Miranda. Samantha was my favorite character! I kinda agree with Onada, dont think the movie would do the show justice, but all the same, cant wait to see it!!
I loved the way the show ended, I love sappy love stories, I cried like crazy when Big showed up in Paris, (I still cry everytime I see the final episode.)My favorite episodes were the ones with Blair Underwood, I think he is smoking hot!!

Unknown said...

I love SATC absolutely but I must confess you are a greater fan than me. I only snatch a few episodes here and there. Must get round to buying the entire series on DVD some day.

How did your race go? Hope you beat ur previous record and it was a breeze.

temmy tayo said...

I love SATC so much that I miss dinner to watch some times. Iamgine that.

Samantha it is for me. She is the one.