Monday, October 23, 2006

A Question of Colour

I was having a conversation with a couple of friends, I can’t remember for the life of me what we were talking about but I'm going to take a wild guess and say we (or I) was talking about how I never meet guys. One of them turned to me and said, 'please, like you have a problem meeting guys. I have seen the amount of attention you get from men'. I explained to her that because I'm mixed race, I do get attention from guys but it's only because of the colour of my skin. She was very surprised to hear this because she honestly never thought of it that way. My other friend who was there is very blessed in the chest area and she felt it was the same situation she was in, the first thing guys noticed about her were her breasts and she’d actually spoken to guys who she was sure had no idea what her face looked like because they were too busy drooling at her cleavage. We ended up getting into a conversation about how being 'fair skinned' is on par with having big boobs or a nice ass ... guys can't help but react to you.

I grew up in Kaduna where being light skinned was never really an issue as there are lots of inter-racial families and also many of the Hausa people are quite fair. We moved to Benin when I was about 10 and I went to boarding school there. Apart from the fact that the most popular boys and girls in the senior class instantly appointed themselves mine and my siblings’ school mothers and fathers, I didn't particularly feel like I stood out or that I got any excessive attention in my time there. It was when I moved to Lagos when I was 13 that it all began properly. I went to ISL for a year and I must have been chatted up by no less than 6 boys on my very first day at the school, everybody knew who I was and I honestly can't count the number of times Uni Lag boys would drive by after school and park their cars down the road and either beckon me over to try and talk to me, or send another student to give me a message. I remember one sports day, this boy and his friend followed me around the entire evening, I mean they literally walked behind me for the entire time I was there. It wasn't just the guys though. I became a bit of an enigma amongst girls of QC as well. It started off with them not liking me because they thought I had stolen a QC girl's boyfriend even though I don’t do guys with girlfriends. This girl was very popular so the SS1 girls decided en masse that they hated me and during their Interhouse sports day, it was rumoured that they had bought water pistols and were going to spray me with them if I dared to show my face. Fast forward to a few months later, I met a cousin of mine for the first time who happened to be in my year at QC, she asked about the whole thing, I told her what happened and she made it her mission to clear my name at QC. Because they had hated me for several months and they now realised that I hadn't actually stolen this girl’s boyfriend, they became friendly instead. I remember going to this party once, and we were standing around outside for a while when my friends and I decided to go for a walk. A friend of mine called to me saying, 'hey B, wait up!' when I heard one of the QC girls also hanging around say, 'Is that B, is that B? Oh my God, I can't believe we are at the same party and we haven’t even talked.’ Lol ... I still smile about that now. A male friend of mine revealed to me a couple of years ago that there was a bet going round amongst some ISL boys about who would date me first. To drive my point home, let me explain that at that time, I was painfully shy around people I didn’t know, I didn't go to parties that much, nor did I go out with any of the bad/popular boys (parties and dating/’cutting show’ with the bad boys were usually the determining factor as to how popular a girl was). Basically, I became as popular and/or notorious as I did because of the fact that I was mixed race.

Now I'm not saying that the colour of my skin is the only thing about me that guys find attractive. I scrub up pretty well but when it comes down to it, while I know I'm hot, I'm also very aware that I'm not that hot. My skin colour is definitely a defining factor. Though I've been told that it's not just about skin colour but the whole package that comes along with mixed race girls like long hair.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about it and I've accepted that it is the way it is. I'm just curious about why it is this way. And before anyone even thinks of leaving a comment along the lines of ‘please jare, like you don’t like all the attention. Ptcheew.’ Let me point out that I am that rare breed of girl who actually doesn’t like attention. At least not from anyone I don’t actually give a damn about, and random guys hitting on me on the street definitely fall into this category. Also as a girl, I would say the chances of any guy hitting on you being slightly dateable is about 50:50 so how come in my entire 12 years of being hit on, I’ve only ever come across like 3 halfway decent guys? In my opinion, there are very few advantages to getting lots of attention.

Anyway, back to the point of this post, I'm curious about why it is this way. A guy I was seeing once had a well documented attraction for light-skinned girls and his response was that we were different and that's why he was attracted to us. Why do guys like light skinned girls? Let's flip the script as well because I know a few girls who just can't resist a mixed race guy. So girls, why do you like light skinned guys? And is being attracted to fair girls/guys the same as liking girls with big boobs/asses and guys with dimples/muscles?

14 comments:

Noni Moss said...

please jare, like you don’t like all the attention. Ptcheew

:-D

I think it falls back to the colonial mentality. The white man imposed his view of white/light good - black/dark bad. So through years and generations of being brainwashed, by default - as mixed race - you're automatically deemed a catch and good mix to add to the family gene pool.

Anonymous said...

Right on point -- I feel you on this. I've sometimes told girls that I wouldn't want to be a girl because if I were pretty, guys woul ddisturb me all the time. As I pretty much keep to myself, if I were a girl after urning down almos every guy, I'd become a 'bitch', 'always pretending', etc.

Would you believe that almost all the girls I told this actually told me that attention is very important to them ie they crave it. I just can't understand it...

Biodun said...

everyone has a thing that they fancy in a guy/girl, the light skinned thing is just something that has been wired into our heads, people equate it to beauty regardless, hence people bleaching, its not the same thing as the big boobs n butt too in my books!

LondonBuki said...

I wonder about that too - guys being attracted to light skinned girls. And then you find some women bleaching thinking that'll make them look finer... gosh. I guess maybe cos you notice light skinned people first... me I don't know oh.

I am not light skinned but I am a bit "blessed in the chest area" and that's what most guys look at before they bother with my face.

I am not really attracted to light skinned (yellow LOL!) guys... my own is tall, with a big 'backside' and cute ofcourse.

Anonymous said...

i think we are just silly fickle and its a phase, i've heard recently people borderline over-emphasise the whole dark is beautiful and how dark skin is now the new light skin ya di ya da.. similar to how curvy is now the new skinny. Peeps like to follow fashion a bit too much and are all-together losing the concept of having an opinion thats theirs. Dark, light, pink, yellow, green, beautiful is beautiful.. If a dude fancied me cos I am light-skinned, i'd mos def run a mile

Anonymous said...

lol..funny, but VERY REAL post....but its not a naija guy thing..its guys all over...even "akata" men. They think light skinned women are more beautiful, but they r just loking on the surface with member growing up, most guys would holla cus of my skin color (but t consider myself light..lol.ill say im more caramelish) then i "blossomed and it became a fixation with my body parts..lol..AND I HATED IT...I STILL DO...but i find myself resenting men who do not look beyong the surface and only at the physical makeup. I personnaly am more attracted to dark skinned men but im not prejudiced against any man of any color. Great Post

Anonymous said...

this was beautiful thought provoking and honest. its sad, isn't it, that people tend only to appreciate (or loathe) you for the most superficial of reasons. yet there is nothing you can do about you, except embrace your beauty and refuse to give them the power to undermine your confidence.

i always said that the whole qc/isl thing was too much drama, and this just goes to show it. how do women get so worked up over so little? (would that angry qc babe put the knife down please, there will be no olawunmi-bashing in the house tonight) lol.

i think you're beautiful, and it has nothing to do with the colour of your skin. you just are, in that down to earth, annoying, i want to playfully tear your hair out and be mischeivious, unpretentious way thats all yours. (did i just say that?)

beautiful post.

NaijaBloke said...

When it comes to guys refering light skinned women,not all men and most men actually feel good been with a light skinned woman to boost their ego and this is cos of the society that we come from.

For example,I literally did a lil' bit of investigation like 2yrs ago to find out why some guys chase white women up and down and I found out that most of this so called naija men do this to boost their ego,cos they believe dating a white woman makes ppl look at u like u have broken thru the race barrier thingy.Can u imagine someone saying he wants to marry a white woman just cos he wants his children to be half casts..

Like i have learnt in this life,we r all not the same in our thinking,ways of life,exposure,family values,culture,wisdom,knowledge,understanding etc .. even though u could be related to someone does not make u have the same beliefs and think the same way.

When it comes to body parts,thatz just a sexual thing,u guys have ur own thing that attracts u to men,like Buki said "tall with a big backside",OWN said "taller than her and cute",so it is the same with men as well,boobs ,yansh and women features attract men to women,although there are a lot of pervs all over the place.

Anonymous said...

"oyinbo peppe, if you eati peppe, you go yellow more more."

lol.

Anonymous said...

This is really thought provoking....I was talking about the whole being mixed in Nigeria thing today....its crazy the attention tht comes with it and also the notoriety i guess....especially among the younger crew...my mum is mixed and my step moms (dont ask...lol) are all white...so basically everyone in my family has the whole mixed race thing going....well except me because i absorbed all my dad's genes...growing up people would always ask...do u feel weird...were u adopted, who is ur mother..lol...for real its really something...
when a guy friend...very popular and gorgeous, successful guy was like he cant marry a very beautiful girl ..i was like ahhh tht aint fair but tht seems to be a common thing amongst nigerian guys...i dont really get it...

nice one 1982
lol...by the way, i'm not fair skinned, dont have long hair or big boobs..but ever since i can remember...i always had a load of dudes on my case....lol...i guess its the swagger

Olawunmi said...

i don't know what the hell is wrong with blogger, because that "oyinbo peppe" comment was left by me, and i sure ain't anonymous.

maybe i can shed some light on why naija guys like light-skinned women. i think it might have to do with the way their skin glows, i dont know for certain, but i have heard some guys say this. apparently light skin is really beautiful for some reason.

personally, i have never had a preference where skin colour is concerned, because i have always looked at other things. yes, light skin is attractive, but its not a must-have for me. heck, i have probably dated (or been attracted to) more dark-skinned girls than light-skinned sisters.

as for the mixed race thing in naija, i think its because of the fascination with the white women that these guys see on tv, whom the men find attratcive. knowing that most of them could never get close to a white woman in nigeria (numbers too small, confidence issues etc), i guess they turn to mixed race women such as yourself because of the perceived exotic blood in your genetic make-up. its even the best of both worlds, light-skinned and exotic. hmmm

not sure if i have made sense. maybe i need to blog this.

Favoured Girl said...

Hmmm, nice post. I think you get a lot more attention from guys because you stand out from the crowd, and you are instantly recognisable. I had a friend who was very light-skinned and you could spot her from a mile off! She hated it though because she didn't like the attention. I also think being light skinned makes you attractive to certain guys. It's like anything else that we find attractive in other people such as height, smile, body build, etc. Please be comfortable in your own skin. People may always treat you differently, but don't let that affect who you are.

Favoured Girl said...

Oh having read this post, now I think I know why some of your friends try to compete with you and put you down, like you mentioned in one of your previous posts.....

TMinx said...

If I was a 'bubbler' now I'd know this jist and know who you are. Ohhhhhh, why wasn't I one! lol. Qc girls can beeeeef lol but note that theres only a group of them and not the masses.

Guys do seem to be attracted to mixed race chics and you can't balme them. Guys are visually stimulated, give them a chance to get to know you too and see if things change. But the truth is a guy will have to find something about you attractive before he gets to know you as a person..thats how I see it but I'm not a guy so I may be wrong.