Thursday, March 29, 2007

I am no longer on a diet!

Sorry guys, this is such a girly post but it might give you some insight into how women feel about their bodies.

I'm no longer on a diet! Most girls I know, even those ones who seem to be effortlessly slim, have some hang-up about their bodies. Most of us just want to be a bit slimmer. I have been on a diet more or less since I was about 16. Name it, I've tried it. The Cabbage soup diet, Atkins, Slim Fast, the Cambridge diet, Weight Watchers ... the list is endless. If you'd like to know, the Cambridge diet is the most effective but it's hard core and I think you have to be at that point where you're very desperate to do something about your weight before you can commit to it. On the plus side, it's a nutritionally balanced plan. And my personal fav has to be WW because it gives you such a healthy and well balanced approach to food. It's the only diet that I ever committed to as a life style change without balking. If I've learnt anything, it's that crash diets are stupid, you will put the weight on again because ultimately you haven't learnt anything so eventually, your old habits will return and the weight will creep on again pound by pound.

At my heaviest, I was about a stone and a half heavier than I am now and that is a lot for me because I'm not particularly tall. At my slimmest, I was about a stone lighter than I am now and in my mind that's my ideal weight. For as long as I can remember, I've been dieting in an attempt to get down to this 'ideal', I've only ever reached it once (and that was because I was ill and didn't eat for 4 days) and my biggest motivation for reaching it has been the thought that when I get to my ideal weight, I'll be able to eat what I want and not have to diet anymore. So I've been dieting so I can get to a point where I no longer have to diet. A bit like working your a*se off to get a stage where you no longer have to work. The other day I was out with a couple of friends who I've been friends with since uni and as usual, the conversation turned to our weight and I said, 'to be honest, if I stay the weight I am now and I don't lose any more weight, I'll be fine' and as I said it, I realised I meant it. And when I realised I meant it, I thought, 'aren't diets for people who are trying to lose weight? If I'm not particularly bothered, why am I still dieting?' I still don't have the perfect figure but I think I've embraced my shape a bit more; I'll always have big hips and a big bum and I've actually learnt to quite like them.

The other reason for my new found body confidence is running. Thanks to London Buki's
'I will be fit' blog, I started running last September when I could just about run for 2 minutes before collapsing in a heap. Now I run three times a week, including a long run on the weekends; the last couple of weekends it's been a 12 km run. Buki and I are doing a couple of 5k charity races which by the way you can sponsor me for. If you would like to sponsor me for one of the races, check out my Race for Life and Sue Ryder Care sponsorship pages. Don't you just love that shameless plug! We're also going to do a couple of 10k races, a 10 mile race, and my ultimate goal is to do a half marathon by the end of the year. So the fact that I'm constantly pushing my body to limits I never thought I was capable of, and the fact that I feel so strong and so healthy makes me proud of my body and I guess that offsets any negative opinions I might have about how I might look. The long and short of it is that I'm no longer dieting until I have a real reason to diet, and hopefully that won't be until I've started popping out babies, which won't be for a while.

Now I'm not saying I'm going to go around eating loads of stuff that I know is bad for me. No. The one thing I can say about all those years of dieting is that I know which foods are good for us and which aren't. I'll try and eat as much of the good stuff as I can and only eat the bad stuff in moderation. So I baked a chocolate mud cake yesterday and in the past, I'd have eaten loads of it yesterday (easily half the cake) and then refused to touch it from today. Instead I had a piece last night and today, along with my roast beef and tomato wrap that I made for lunch, I have also brought a small piece of cake with me. And I intend to enjoy every bite and have a piece every day until my housemates and I finish the cake.

While I’m perfectly happy with the size and weight I am now, I have to admit that I don’t want to put on weight so I’ll continue to weigh myself weekly and if
I find my jeans getting a bit on the snug side then I’ll maybe cut back on those slivers of chocolate cake or add another long run session to my week but I’m determined that it won’t be drastic and it’ll be healthy.

I can't tell you how liberating I feel knowing that I'm no longer on a diet! Now I’m off to research all those amazing recipes that I can cook and savour now that I’m no longer counting points, or carbs, or … mmmm, oven baked southern fried chicken, sounds good!

34 comments:

1511th said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
1511th said...

You go babe with you bad self. I always didnt understand why you wanted to lose weight but you know your body.

I will definately try and follow your lead, though always tend to eat healty most of the time.

Temptation is a B"£"%$ I would not lie.

Noni Moss said...

Wow good for you. the liberation must be exhilirating. Unfortunately, I am the opposite. I am now thinking of seriously going on one cos I need too

Mari said...

Thats great. As long as you are running, I don't see why you should be on a diet. You have no need for it. Cutting back is all we need when we start getting complacent.

Hmmm, your chocolate mud cake sounds so tempting right about now.

LondonBuki said...

Go Vickii!!!! I totally feel you!

I only tried WW and it was FANTASTIC for me... I dropped 40 pounds and more and then gained some back... I have an 'ideal' weight too but don't know if I can be bothered to work even harder...

Why don't you put widgets of your fundraising pages on your sidebar...?

P.S. I'll text you to find out when next you'll be in Regents Park for a Saturday Run...

Unknown said...

congratulations for you, I don't know if that day will ever come to me though, i've been on a diet for almost 2 decades. Well I say i'm on a diet sha. In fact the first thing i did after reading this was google cambridge diet. sad i know.

soul said...

erm Vickii...
can I have a piece of chocolate cake..please...
Well done. I would like to say I don't have body issues.. but heck I'm human, somedays I do. somedays I don't, but the real thing for me is fitness issues.
I'm mad at myself because I used to be extremely fit, played bball and stuff, then stopped once the 9-5 set in.

I am however working my way back and I love it!

Biodun said...

I am trying to get my sorry arse to start some kind of work out program. I just am so lazy, I have put on weight since I got back from naija n it sucks, lol. This post is motivating me 2 do something about it, cos my jeans r fitting a lil too tight these dayz.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Self realisation is the best. It means you have arrived. Good luck.

You know dieting without exercise makes one look haggard and tired.

When you exercise, your health and posture improves and so does you confidence and babes, you will be so toned and so yummy. Just keep on honey.

PS - invest in proper road running shoes (not the trendy and nice ones) to prevent mashing your ankles and knees

yellow ibo girl said...

Dieting is the one way I have control over SOMETHING in my life. If i stopped i might go mad(er).

however, your liberation is inspiring. Im happy for you pretty lady! :-)

Favoured Girl said...

You go girl! It's good that you are now comfortable and happy with your body. True, we all worry about our weight sometimes. I feel I need to drop a dress size and then my weight will be 'ideal'. I eat well, but don't exercise enough. Maybe I'll take up running too.

Naija Vixen said...

I went to google Cambridge diet too!...guud for you dat you found running(?)you've made hungry now...after iv just eaten sef now...;-)

BiMbyLaDs** said...

tiny u!!! .... everybody. vikkii IS TINY o! tinier than me (*sticking my tongue out*).. ha ha!

ur a lovely gurl and it was so much fun chatting with u.. even if im shorter than u by just 1/2 an inch!! ( aww... there is no one here to justify my lies...lol)

low said...

I was actually going to blog about this after easter...lollll..i totally understand where you are coming from. Think my main problem is the lil 'devil' that catches up with me sometimes when i try to diet...

iconoclastic said...

smallie!! y ur on a diet i know not..so let me rub it in 4 those who didnt come, she's small oh, so bake those choc cakes n email them 2 moi...Nice meetin u, very luvly chic

zaiprincesa said...

i totally feel u on the diet thingy...for a long time now, my weight has flunctuated, usually based on my life style, i think..Gained the freshman fifteen...even when i wasnt a freshman..lol..but the one thing i realized is that, to lose weight successfully, u have to do a lifestyle change. I changed my eating habits, didnt give up carbs or anything..just ate what i loved, in moderation..(small portions are filling, for real), and started goin to the gym regularly, and the weight just seemed to fall off. ..Good luck with the races and marathons..Ive done a couple, so i know how it aint an easy thang!

Simply Gorgeous said...

I am glad to hear that you are no longer on a diet. Eating sensibly is better. I definitely think it is a woman thing. Good luck on your fitness training LB can be very inspiring.

temmy tayo said...

What diet???????????

I think you are fab.

But then...........

Hamza matar said...

lovely page

Dolly said...

can u please email me ur chocolate mud cake

Admin UD said...

lol at dolly

Uzo said...

May i get to this place where you are.....

Mr.Fineboy said...

You're beautiful the way u r Vickii!

NaijaBloke said...

Very funny ..talking as if she wont eat the cake for a week...LOL..

Some guys have the weight issue too o .. u can imagine at my former job,when some ppl came for health day or smth and I was cajoled to weight myself(which I dont do normally) and the lady said that I am 12lbs over what am suppose to be with my height.I wish she knows abt the mountain of pounded yam I had the nite before..


Happy easter jere

Simply Gorgeous said...

The results are in. Come and see who made it to the next level!

racquelle-cutie said...

i can never stick to a diet plan cos i luv my food too much all do is try not to overeat and try to work out sometimes.i think you look great i dont know why you'd want to go on a diet

thanks for stopping at my blog

chidi said...

i've tried dieting and it did not work for me cos i ate more so now im more into excercises. By that, i mean walking. no cabs or buses

Unknown said...

Great. I'm happy for you. Dieting requires lots of discipline and most have started but couldn't complete. BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog

Anonymous said...

You and buki are inspiring.. maybe I should take up running too... I don't know really I just want a 6-pack... lol... summers coming oh

TMinx said...

Ok I need to hop on this running train lolllllllllll, I really crack myself of. Hope you had a good break

. said...

Youre right this IS a very girly post. You wont catch a bunch of brothers talking bout "eh dawg, I think my ass looks fat, yall know anything about that atkins diet?"
It was still bonz sha. I just pray u didnt lose too much weight
P.s thanks for touching up my blog. I replied ure I.S.L question there as well

Unknown said...

Its good to see that you're donw ith all the diets. The rest of us will fly the flag on ur behalf. (smile)

About ur fundraising appeal - no its not shameless plugging. Its for a good cause. Will do something to increase the mecury on your thermometers soon.

Ms. May said...

Great post Vicki......you and Buki need to do a post on how to start running if you've never done it before. I'm going through that phase where I'm putting on weight and trying to come to terms with the fact that it's okay for me to not fit into clothes I bought and have worn for close to 5 years now. After all, I'm not the same person inside. I'm a much better and wiser person and so why should the outside stay the same? I love my figure.....I have a butt and my body is in proportion. I have toned arms and I just would like the tummy to get toned too and I'll be alright. I'd love to start running so if you can recommend the best way to start, I'd love that. Thanks.