Monday, March 05, 2007

Their Love Story

I went away with my family a couple of weekends ago and over lunch; I heard the story of how my parents got together. Although I'd heard the story before, it was different this time. Firstly, because I got to hear the details. Also, it was the first time I'd heard my dad talk about it. Because both of my parents were present, my dad told the story and my mum interjected here and there so what follows is more or less a pretty accurate account. I think it's a very sweet story.

Athens, Greece ... sometime in the late 1970s.

She stood with her friend outside the door of the apartment where the party was taking place. Their host was her friend's brother. My dad opened the door and greeted his brother. Then he introduced himself to her and then announced to both of them, gesturing to her; 'This is the woman I'm going to marry'. He says he just knew. She glared at him, Who the hell does he think he is? She thought as she walked past him and into the party.

As fate would have it, over the next few years, they bumped into each other occasionally. He recalls driving down a main road one day and on seeing her walk past; he hastily parked his car and ran out to chat to her. He owned a fashion store and he saw her in there once and again made a point of talking to her. Every single time they spoke he would end the conversation by asking 'When are we going out?' She was always friendly and gracious towards him and her answer was always the same; 'Never'. She explains now that as well as the fact that she had a long term boyfriend, she had found herself very drawn to him from the beginning and believing that he was all wrong for her, she had made a conscious choice to avoid him. As time passed, her initial reservations were confirmed; he was a playboy (his words), seventeen years older than her (though she didn’t know this at the time because he has always looked younger than his age), he had a daughter and he was black. She was always polite but made it clear that there was no chance that anything would happen between them.

A couple of years after they met, he went back to Nigeria for a while, and on his return, his brother gave him her number asking him to call her just to say hi. He did call and they started to talk on the phone occasionally. He would end every conversation by asking her out. She always refused. He recalls that one evening he had an overwhelming urge to call her. He didn't. The next day, sitting in his office around lunch time, this feeling that he should call her would not leave him. It did not make sense, it was the middle of the day and he knew for a fact that she would be at university. Unable to ignore the feeling, he called her. She answered the phone, he said hi, and she burst into tears. Her father had died from a heart attack that morning. Unable to talk, she put down the phone. He scoured the afternoon papers till he found details of the funeral that evening, then he went home, changed into a suit and went to the church. As the family walked down the aisle after the funeral, she spotted him and stopped in her tracks, staring at him. It was only a few seconds but very noticeable since she was following a procession. He went to the wake after to pay his respects to the family. They went back to talking on the phone.

A few months after, my dad was having a party at his flat and it occurred to him when the party was already in full swing that my mum might want to attend so he phoned her. She made her apologies, she lived on the other side of Athens and it was late but she thanked him for inviting her. As he said good bye, he once again asked, 'when will I see you?' And she replied, 'when do you want to see me?' She had broken up with her boyfriend a while ago. He was so surprised and pleased that he suggested that he take her out for dinner that very night. He waved away her protests that he had guests and left his own party to drive across Athens and take her out for dinner. And they have been together ever since.

26 years, 3 countries, 3 children, numerous fights and uncountable differences later, I don't they'd have it any other way.

29 comments:

LondonBuki said...

Wow @ the overwhelming urge to call her... I like the way you ended it - "26 years, 3 countries, 3 children, numerous fights and uncountable differences later, I don't they'd have it any other way."
You have a way with words...


Hope you are doing ok and that you had a nice weekend.

Daddy's Girl said...

Aawww.. that's so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Sweetest story I've heard in a long time. I hope I last that long with hubby as my parents sure didn't

chainreader said...

Awwwwwwww. Lovingitis!

Confused Naija Girl said...

awwww london buki is right. you have a way with words.
thats such a great love story

Azuka said...

It's always different and oh so sweet! Everytime I read the story of a couple getting together, I think, 'I can't wait! When'll it be my turn?'

Azuka said...

P.S: Great writing style. I'll come and learn a tip or two. I'll be getting Purple Hibiscus soon so we can do the review.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww dats so sweeeeetttttttttttttt

Unknown said...

Thanks to everyone who said I have a way with words ... Azuka, you saying I have a great writing style is a huge compliment!

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, thats such a sweet story. I think I've heard my folk's story like a million times back then that I've totally forgotten how it goes right now. One thing I seem to have noticed is that our parents all have amazing stories.

Lady A said...

That is so beautiful. Now that's a love story. Your father has a lot of heart going to a stangers funeral. That's says a lot right there.

NaijaBloke said...

All I could say is WOW!!

Ubong Da said...

ur Mum played hard to get o! Shoo why suffer the man that long? Why didn't she just say yes. The statistics would have been something like 32 years together instead of 26. anyway like dem say batter late than never.

Naijadude said...

Omg! 26 years?... that is really good eh! such records gives more courage in marriage... Have a good one !!

NaijaBloke said...

Happy Birthday to you

Unknown said...

@ everyone: It's my parents and even after living with them through some of the ups and downs, I still think it's an amazing story; hopefully great love stories are hereditary :p lol

@ ubong da: she wasn't fronting. She started off genuinely thinking he was arrogant and not someone she wanted to know, then warmed to him and still he was someone who she genuinely wouldn't consider getting involved with. I think that's what makes it so great, no matter how much she fought the feeling and resisted his advances, it seems it was inevitable; they were meant to be together.

@ naijabloke: Thank you!

BiMbyLaDs** said...

lovely story babe.. suweeetness

Anonymous said...

Happy Baiday Mami.. abi is it belated now?!

Unknown said...

Awww!!! Such a sweet love story made even nicer by the fact that they're still together. Happy Anniversary to them.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO U TOO VICKII!!

Daddy's Girl said...

Happy Birthday!!

naijabelle said...

very nice story had me holding back the tears! Happy belated birthday too.Hope u had a blast!

Noni Moss said...

o ya - isnt it time to update?

(loll - yes I'm very aware of the irony)

omohemi Benson said...

It's a beautiful story, sounds like a novel.

Love theway you ended it.

Aramide said...

How weird...first time I'm visiting this blog..hmmm

The story is really amazing...I wonder what mine would be like :-/

xxx

Naija Vixen said...

awww...i want a luv lyk this or more!!!

Noni Moss said...

Ok. Soooo...

Who do we need to speak to about this total lack of service?

Can I speak to the manager??? Manager??? Someone???

UPDATE O JARE!!!

Ms. Catwalq said...

Great story.
Kind of makes you want to hold on and see if fate brings you something as good or even better and then you role over in bed and BAM!!!... nope, you just have what you've got.

Anonymous said...

Heard the shorter version of this story before, nice to get the full version :)

Reminds me of Sinem and I, 1st time I met her I said, I was going to marry her. She laughed, said I was not her type and sorta gave me that pity look you girls give men when they say corny things like that (In your dream mate kinda look), oh well 5 or is it 6 years down the line, WHO DE MAN????? LOL

Suby

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaw... inspirational! I am in tears... quite literally. :)