Wednesday, July 25, 2007

BFF

You’re in every one of my favourite childhood memories
I can see your face clearly, right there, next to mine
Come to think of it, you were also there during my no-so-favourite times
Like the time when my mum shouted at us for taking all my clothes to school and giving them away
Or your sixth birthday when you had that party and we locked ourselves in your bedroom and refused to play with the other kids
Wow, we really were brats sometimes
Do you remember when you told your parents you were coming to my house
And I told my parents I was going to yours
And we both went to Ayo’s house because her parents would let us go to parties and stay out as late as we wanted?
And somehow, despite our meticulous planning, we got caught and your dad came to pick us up
I swear he thought it was my fault and I couldn’t look him in the face for months after.

I told you absolutely everything of any importance that happened to me
When my parents fought, when I fought with them
I wasn’t scared to tell you I was going out with Ali even though I knew you didn’t like him.
And you didn’t even gloat, not even for one moment when he dumped me for the most popular girl in school
I never ever resented the fact that all the boys liked you, and all the girls wanted to be friends with you
And you were so proud of me for always coming first in class despite never really trying
There was that brief phase in our second year of secondary school when we both made other friends and spent less and less time together
But that all ended when I told you that Iko and I were going out. You’d always said we were meant to be together
Just like that, we were once more a part of each other’s lives and it’s stayed the same since

I moved to England and you moved to the States and yet we wrote each other at least once a week
Do you remember when we started keeping diaries and we’d exchange them every few months so that we knew every detail of each other’s lives?
And later when I caught up to your computer literacy skills, we emailed all the time Nothing was too mundane to share with the other
Different lives, new friends, profound experiences, an ocean between us and still we remained so close
Even though we never got to share a lot of firsts together, you heard all of mine as soon as they happened.

I couldn’t be happier for myself than I am for you when something good happens to you
The words ‘I told you so’ have never ever left your mouth even though you have had plenty of opportunity to say them
I’ve prayed that you would have things that even I didn’t have. I wanted them for you more than I did for me
You’ve supported me through every decision I’ve ever made. Your one question always was ‘is this what you really want?’ Once I uttered the magic word, ‘yes’ then you were as loyal to my dreams as you were to yours.
I’ve cried every time you’ve cried
You celebrate everything that is good about me, and are always there to remind me when I’m in danger of forgetting

We’re still an ocean apart but you’ll always be my best friend
And I know I’m yours
I’ve recently found the love of my life, and you’ve got yours, as well as three little ones
But I maintain that you’re my soul mate
How lucky I am to have found you so young and to have shared so much with you

32 comments:

LondonBuki said...

First!!!

Noni, don't hate! LOL!!!!

LondonBuki said...

Vickii: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!

So worth the long wait :-)

Mimi said...

:)awwwwwwwwww and

:) :) you found the love of your life!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww... that is just so beautiful. You're blessed to have such a special friendship - truly blessed - that kind of love is rare.

And... you've recently found the love of your life???!!! Wow.

Unknown said...

Lol, this isn't about me ...

You know I was feeling a bit down about crappy friends a while ago? Well, I was going to write ranting about friends then I decided that instead I'd rather celebrate real friendships because there are plenty out there and hopefully in my life so this was the result.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the love of my life ... lol, they don't come along that easily unfortunately!

Tutsy said...

@Vickii.....lol at ur comment. U are right about that my dear, the good ones don't come that easy.

Great write-up by the way...u had me going for a hot minute, was begining to wonder if u had found "the guy"...lol...glad u cleared that up. Keep hope alive babe...the right one is around the corner.

Ms. Catwalq said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Mari said...

So if this isn't about you, who is it about? I'm soooo curious right now esp the part about Iko.
Tell me, tell me...plzzzz!

Unknown said...

Lol, Mari it isn't about anyone ... it's made up, some of it is entirely fictional, some of it is based on real life stuff ... I wrote it as if I had never left Kaduna, so if I had grown up with all my childhood friends like you and Gosha.

And I had a crush on Iko when we were little which is why I used his name lol.

Mari said...

Buahahhahaah... I see now.
You did a really good job with this piece. Very nice.
You had a crush on Iko? How cute!
I see we have alot to catch up on this weekend. I wonder what it would have been like if you guys never left Kaduna...check ure email.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

lol.... letters!! we wrote letters! this really nice vicky. its so well written.

flawsandall said...

nice....
after reading the comment you made of some parts being fictional you dampening my spirit a lil bit. At first I was awed by the perfect relationship only to find out it was to good of a friendhsip to be true.
How many people have friendships like that?

Kafo said...

i love it

i don't have ANY friendships like this

i wish i did tho'

Noni Moss said...

mmmhhhh - my first thought was Onada and then I thought you exaggerated a little bit with the love of my life bit but then I realised you were talking about ....MEEEEEE!!

AAAaaaaawwwwwww - I love you too! :-D

LB - I'm warning you, dont try me oh! Vickii is just a sell out (i keep telling you to let me know BEFORE you post so I'm primed to be first) but dont worry I can and will show both of you.

Noni Moss said...

Oh btw - forgot to say it's a nice story/post/sentiment. It's very sweet.
I dont believe in BFFs though soo cant help but think you're growing old and sentimental in your old age ;-)

AIVY said...

its nice you have a friend that close despite the distance..
used to have one too but we grew apart as we got older

Uzo said...

Love this....I was thrown with the love of your life bit..then i figured it wasnt exactly 100% you....Love this though...And i nhave a woman in my life who is just as special

Anonymous said...

Totally sweet. Don't you just wish you were writing about yourself anf your BFF, who by the way is....? (fill in the gap)lol.

Do people really have one single friends with whom they undoubtedly share/tell everything?....hmm. Do I have someone like that? let me go sit on my thinking chair?

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful vicki. God bless you and your friend

Favoured Girl said...

I was going to comment on this post, but then I got distracted by 'Friends' showing on TV. Lol

Favoured Girl said...

Ok I'm back now, what a nice write-up! Nice imagination Vickii. You made it sound so real! I kinda have a friend like that. We didn't grow up together but we met in secondary school and we've been close since then.
The part about your crush is so cute!

Unknown said...

Nice. I'm pretty sure she feels the same way about you.

zaiprincesa said...

aww, this is sweet, Vicki. U say ure lucky to have found her, but im sure she'll say the same for you. Have a blessed weekend....

P.s,
Hmm..yes im a bit nosy...so, who's this new love of ur life...?;)...

zaiprincesa said...

oh bummer,....just saw ur comment about it being just a writeup...and here i was already pulling out the parrry hats and streamers..lol...No worries..i'll keep em close by...cus i have a feeling ure about to get bit by the bug....winters coming soon oh....;)..hehehehe

Mo said...

Vickiii this is soooooo beautiful. Nice hearing from you again and i hope we can STAY in touch. how is seye, kitty, your mum and dad. hope they are good? and again this is beautiful.

Biodun said...

Vickii is in love, Vickii is in love, so when r we gonna hear about this guy? That aside, this was such a wonderful post, I will I had that kinda friend:(

omohemi Benson said...

Was hoping the love of life bit was true.

Nice post,
Have a bff, i absolutely adore too, though a few miles keep us apart. nice post, loved it.

TMinx said...

Nicely written vicky. A lot of us got stuck on the 'love of my life bit' lol

Andrew F. Alalade said...

Ali and Iko? Hmmmmmmmm

Unknown said...

The gift of friendship is the most precious of all

O.šeyï said...

That was so cute. Well written. I feel the exact same way about my best friend. Its like you looked into my memory book and wrote about me and my BFF. She rocks!!! Only thing is, she says, i told you so and we laugh about it. We've never fought or had a falling out. You gotta love 'em.

cinnamonqueen said...

Lovely!