Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I think I'm in Love again ...

... WITH R&B! Ha ha gottcha! Sorry no juicy goss of that sort today.

My music taste is pretty eclectic, I love everything from pure unadulterated Pop (Especially boy bands - The Backstreet boys, N Sync, Blue) to Hip-Hop (I'm a huge Eminem fan). If you asked me if I liked Country, my first instinct would be to say no and yet I love Keith Urban. I like some dance, especially the stuff that reworks classic songs like Bryan Adam's 'Heaven' and I love, love, love alternative/rock/indie music; Linkin Park, Michelle Branch, Lifehouse, Evanescence, Snow Patrol, Keane, Damien Rice ... I could go on forever. But my R&B was my first music love and good R&B will usually trump the others.

All of my favourite teen memories were played out against a backdrop of my favourite R&B songs. I think the first tape of my own I ever owned (that wasn't stolen from my father's extensive but somewhat outdated music collection) was the Boyz II Men album that some friends of mine in Lagos copied for me. I loved four songs on that album; 'I'll Make Love to You', 'On Bended Knee’ and 'Yesterday'. I still love every single one of those songs but my favourite then and now has to be 'Water Runs Dry'.

Toni Braxton and Tevin Campbell were favourites while I was in boarding school in JSS 2 and 3, and I thought all the older girls were so cool when they tied bandanas round their heads back to front the way Aaliyah did. I loved Shai and 3T, Michael Jackson and Jodeici, Montell Jordan and After 7. When we moved to Lagos and I started going to ISL, I remember getting ready for school every morning to Mariah Carey's 'Daydreams' album. Wow, there were so many amazing songs on that album - Underneath the stars, Melt away, Always be my baby, Open arms and One sweet day with Boyz II Men. I had one of those 'I'm really getting old' moments when I was in a car with my younger cousins and this album came on and they had never heard any of the songs. Cue a really long rant (by me) about ‘how they totally missed out on Mariah's best stuff and how they don't make R&B like they used to’ and two very bored cousins.

You know what? I really do believe that though. I think all the best stuff has already been done. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs around these days but not many AMAZING songs. You know, the kind of songs that you love from the very first time you hear them, the kind that you don't have to let grow on you because they almost jump out of the album at you. The kind of song that against all self restraint, you put on repeat till you're absolutely sick of it. The kind of song that had you sitting in front of MTV for hours on end (back in the day when we didn't have youtube) so that you could watch the video which you always hated because it was never what you imagined it to be, and didn’t do the song any justice in your opinion. The kind of song that literally gives you goose bumps from listening to it. The kind of song that brings the memories flooding back with every note and lyric. Songs like Allure's 'All cried out' and more or less everything on the 'Enter the Dru' and '8701' albums, Nelly & Kelly's 'Dilemma' and Neyo's 'Sexy Love'. In the last few years, these songs have been few and far between.

A few weeks ago, a friend who has taken it upon himself to keep me updated as to what's going on in the world of music and truly believes that if it weren't for him, I'd still be listening to the golden oldies, made me a CD and for the first time in a while ... I found myself listening to a few songs over and over again. I'm loving Joe's 'Life of the Party' and 'It's me' and I hear the rest of his recent album is pretty good too. I also love Neyo's 'Make it work', 'Go on girl' and 'Do you'.

I'm remembering what I loved so much about R&B, and I'm loving the process!

17 comments:

LondonBuki said...

*cough* FIRST!

LondonBuki said...

I want a copy of that CD... I'll give you your Milo, Milk and the book in exchange! Deal?

Vickii, I am old o... I went all 'goosepimply' reading this post and remembering those albums... still love the songs...

As always, I love your post... but this your posing has to stop! Two or Three posts in a month? Whaaaattt? That's not allowed anymore! I expect at least FIVE more this month!!!!

LondonBuki said...

My fave boybands: N Sync and Backstreet Boys - I LOVED THEM.

I loved "It's Gonna Be Me" and it's video and 'Bye Bye Bye'... I loved "Everybody(Backstreet's Back)', 'All I Have to Give', 'I want it that way', "Quit Playing Games' and MORE!

Ok... Let me stop now!

Noni Moss said...

Lolll - Underneath the Stars - repeat like 5 times! Love love this post - we are soo on a music tip today. I was listening to Lauryn Hills album the other day and you just forget how GOOD the music was in those days. They definitely dont do music like they used to then. Hmmm you're reminding me that I still have me 90's teen music piece to write ...

At least you FINALLY updated ;-)

LondonBuki said...

Insert evil laugh at the end of 'Thriller' here...

Noni, I am the QUEEN!

Biodun said...

Love this post! I am loving Neyo's new album, "Do You" being my fav song! I so feel u, I hadly listen to new stuff anymore. I was just singing along to 8701 the other day, my fav usher album by the way, lol. I think good music is still being made today, but we connected better to songs of the 90's cos it was when we were growing up, older folks said the same thing about the Boyz II men, etc

Uzo said...

Joe's new cd is hot (i truly love that man) and i really really like Life of the party. Neyo's new cd is alright. Go on girl jumped out at me....

Music is just wonderful and i agree that r&b is special. Check out Gerald Levert's Made to love you....

Azuka said...

You!

Why did you get me so easily? :-(

classybabe said...

I listened to soul for real's songs recently and i was wondering what they were up to now
Love Joe's new cd but special mention has to go to the video for "if i was ur man"-Blair Underwood is so hot.
Like Neyo's Do you

O.šeyï said...

OMG... I TOTALLY AGREE! Btw...we love pretty much the same things... Damien Rice.. are you kidding? Amazing. I think you'd like A Fine Frenzy... trust me. Download "Almost Lover", "Ashes and Wine" and "Near to You" OMG... in fact everyone should listen to this song and the words are just amazing.

Joe's "If i was your man" is Really good... and there's Tank's "Please Dont Go" - i like that. hehe. Mario's new song, "How do i breathe" : ) Okay i'll stop. But...

Lauryn and Mariah... ANY DAY! Gotta Love Whitney's "Whitney" album too... Memories.
Oh does anyone remember Faith Evans "i'll never let you go?" Sigh... loved that too. okay i'm gone. hehe.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i should call you and sing you some R and B with my beautiful voice..... put me on the list for a copy of that cd yo!

Anonymous said...

never liiked r n b till recently..i did ROCK!,,,and now i wonder how is survived without it!

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

girl all I can say is you got taste! Nice collection you got going.

Naija Vixen said...

That is a luvly compilation...nice post!

Noni Moss said...

So .... it's been about a week now. I'm just saying ... for information purposes ... you know. Just incase you want to DO anything about that.

Anonymous said...

So Vickii's still got soul? :)

How are you doing cuz?

Anonymous said...

lol so I dont feel bad that I actually like nsync and the backstreet boys... lol.. i found myself listening to a song from west life last night.. lol. i Love some of eminems songs.. cleaning out my closet... hailies song... lose it... dont get me started..Keith urban i adore... i wanna love you... making memories of us are my favorite songs.. bryan adams is amazing.. his raspy sexy voice gets me every single time.. he rocks! i dont think i've ever listened to a song from him and not loved it completely. love michelle branch, lifehouse(you and i is great), vanessa carlton, evanescence... amy lees voice is stupendous..I love neyos do you... actually i think i love almost everybody you mentioned.. dont wana make this a post within a post so i'll stop.. lol