Thursday, December 07, 2006

My Biggest Shame

I realise I might be ever so slightly flawed. Okay, maybe a bit more than slightly ... fine, fine, I admit it, I'm very flawed. But for the most part I'm very aware of my flaws so I don't need anybody to tell me that I'm stubborn, passive aggressive, or that I can be argumentative and harsh (though I'm not sure if that's a flaw since I'm a big believer in judging people by the same standards that I set myself). But that's besides the point, the point is I sometimes struggle to admit that I am wrong, and I would rather ignore a problem with someone than confront it, that I can isolate myself from the people that I really should let in. I'm pretty sure you get it, wrapped up in this pretty package is a whole lot of unpretty. But I get it too, I'm painfully aware of all of my bad habits and characteristics, which is why I hang on to this memory; this memory of a time where I became a person I should have been better than, when I acquired a whole new set of flaws I would never ever have attributed to myself. Here's the story.

On my first day at university, I made lots of friend but three in particular became my close friends; they were Becky, Alice and Marya. We lived on the same floor of the residence building and made plans after three months to share a house together in our second year. Ironically, we all became friends out of a mutual admiration for Becky who was so funny and outgoing at a time when most of us were still pretty shy. Becky met a guy on her first day at university and pretty soon they became inseparable and soon she started making excuses about why she couldn't come out with us, or she would pretend she wasn't feeling well so as to cancel our plans. After a while we started bonding really well without Becky and actually started getting really frustrated with her. She on the other hand started hanging out with her boyfriend's friends who really didn't like us. Needless to say, we were really weren't the best of friends by the end of the first year but seeing as we had a house with all our names on the lease, we had to live together, and things got really bad.

I'm not trying to justify my behaviour because it really isn't justifiable but I'd like to explain how things became the way they did. Becky had some little annoying habits such as talking through films, TV programmes etc, her boyfriend practically moved in and they'd drink all the milk but she would never ever buy any, or anything else for that matter, she would make annoying comments (like comment on how much one of us was eating even though she knew we were conscious about our weight), though now I realise that she probably didn't mean it maliciously. It was little things but as none of us was the confrontational sort, we'd talk about it to each other instead of talking to her directly. Or we'd set up these elaborate scenes where one of us would come into the lounge and say something like 'You guys, I'm sick and tired of always buying milk, can one of you please do it?' and the other two would recount when last they had bought milk all in the hope that Becky would pipe up and say, 'actually, it's my turn. I haven't bought any in a while'. I know, I know, one of us really should have sat her down and said, 'Becky it's your turn to buy milk, can you please start pulling your weight and take on your share of responsibilities?’ It started off with us getting annoyed about valid things, but the more annoyed we got and the more we'd talk about it within ourselves, the more petty we became. Because Marya, Alice and I were so close, we'd often hang out in each other's rooms and when Becky would come to spend time with us (usually using an excuse like offering us tea or wanting to borrow a book because we must have made her feel so unwelcome) we'd leave one by one until Becky would leave too and then within half an hour we'd be assembled in a different room again. She must have sensed the tension because the worst we became, the nicer she was and the more of an effort she would make.

I often felt bad but most of the time, I was too annoyed to really care.

In my third year, I moved to Canada for my first semester and I heard things in the house were even more strained. However, with the distance, I started to realise how mean we were being and how much I would have hated it if I were in Becky's shoes. And then Alice's ex-boyfriend told her that Becky had told him that she would hear us talk about her and she really hated living with us and it really hit home just how horrible we were. Because we never confronted her, we never let her know what our issues with her were thereby not giving her a chance to do anything about it. We basically never even gave her a chance. I can't even begin to explain how ashamed of myself I felt then (and even now, whenever I think about it) and I resolved to stop. And I did, in my last two semesters, I stopped bitching about her (even though I did let her know what I thought every now and then) and we even became closer. I became more patient with her and actually started seeing the good in her again instead of focusing on her flaws.

I'm blogging about it and I force myself to think about it every once in a while just so I remember what kind of a person I'm capable of being if I'm not careful. Like I said, I know my flaws but I never would have thought I was capable of being a cold, intolerant bitch and that's exactly what I was.

11 comments:

LondonBuki said...

Yeah I stil do this - I AM FIRST!!!

Going to read the post now.

LondonBuki said...

Come on! Take it easy on yourself. Sharing a house with people can put a MAJOR strain on relationships.

You weren't as close to her as you were to the others so what happened is not a surprise.

Believe me, I know... I shared a house with a few friends in my 2nd year and I couldn't have predicted the DRAMA!

I will say this was all just an experience and hopefully, a lesson learnt... think hard before you move in with people.

Anonymous said...

Oh you spawn of evil you. Ok I dont mean to make light of your shame (loll - sorry that just sounded weird) yeah, because you were REALLY AWFUL! But at least you realised how badly you were behaving and you did something about it. Realising is the first step, making amends is the 2nd so good for you!

soul said...

We are all flawed you area better person for recognising it, admitting the flaw but most importantly doing something about it.

I always say that i am beautifully flawed. I firmly believe that and accept it.

Mari said...

Believe it or not when I tell you that we seem to have the same flaw. I tend to ignore alot of issues rather than confront the problem. It's done alot of harm to most of my relationships as I've come to realize. I try to be more careful these days as I am now fully aware of it.
"I'm a big believer in judging people by the same standards that I set myself"... girl you took the thought right out of my mind. I couldn't have said it any better.

Glad that you and Becky have moved past the bad times and you are both good friends now. Alot of things do happen for a reason. When you look back at those days, don't beat yourself up...be happy b'coz that experience helped you.

Anonymous said...

Everyone makes those mistakes. Communication is key.

I can't exactly say I've lived up to this. Glad you mended things.

Anonymous said...

girl..we are all have a "cold, intolerant bitch" inside us...lol
The most important thing is that you "made up" in the end.

Favoured Girl said...

It is always hard living with people. You start noticing their bad habits and so on. Little things can cause major problems. Girl don't beat yourself over it. It's in the past now and I can see you've learnt that there are better ways of resolving conflicts :-)

Biodun said...

You r human n that is part of being human. We can only learn from our mistakes.

Discombobulated Diva said...

No need to be so harsh on your self... first of all, you were younger then and we all do stupid things when we're younger, secondly, the advice that you can't live with your friends is one that many people ignore and later regret (and I speak from personal experience on that, the things i've done to past roommates weren't pretty), and lastly you learned from you past mistakes and tried to make amends with the situation, that's all you can do... and that's more than most people would do...

it does help to reflect on such experiences it makes you realize how much wiser you are now...
~DD

Unknown said...

i respect you
for doing something about it
in my own case
i was the one who always bought milk
i was the one who got gossiped
it was a terrible time of my life
i think i should have moved out
i got tagged teamed on
by my buddy and her sis
k
i was bitter
i think i am better though
i could never be friends with the
chic again
cos i was a teenager 18

and i got hurt
cos of her anger.