Monday, December 11, 2006

Monday 11 December 2006 - Random thoughts...

The Countdown: 2 weeks and 2 days until I go to Lagos … I can’t wait!!!

Winters for Two: Is it me or does winter seemed to have been designed specifically with couples in mind? It's freezing cold, it's always raining and it gets dark ridiculously early and all of these factors conspire to keep you indoors from November until March. Five long months which are only really fun if you're part of a twosome. You see, for couples, winters are actually lots of fun ... staying in, talking, playing games, reading, chilling in general is much more fun if you have somebody to do it with. Plus if you do decide to venture out and see the Christmas lights or go ice skating, then guess what? More fun with someone else! In the summer, I have a fuller schedule than I have hours in the day and I'm always grateful for any time I get to myself. And if I find myself alone and with nothing to do, there are a myriad of parks awaiting my presence in some shorts and armed with magazines, books and food. Now I am very happy being single but if there is ever a time of year where I get a bit of twinge about how great it would be to have someone, it's in winter!

My Chauvinist Brother: I had the funniest conversation with my brother who is a tongue in cheek chauvinist pig. At least I hope it's tongue in cheek! I'm a huge feminist so I suspect he sometimes says things just to wind me up. I was telling him how much I love Beyonce's 'Irreplaceable' (which I love by the way) and the conversation went something like this. You have to imagine how dead pan he delivers his lines and how worked up I was getting with every word he was saying.

Me: I love Irreplaceable! I have no idea why because I'm not a bit fan of her solo stuff but I really love that song!
Him: I don't. It gives women ideas, makes them forget their place. Men are never replaceable, only women are.
Me (my voice seething with sarcasm): Let me guess, 'cater to you' is more your kind of song.
Him: Thank you! Now that's a song. Women everywhere should employ that as their anthem!
Me: I hate that song with a passion, please; you couldn't pay me to sing those lyrics!
Him: Nope, it was only after they sang that song that I started to really respect DC. I really don't approve of all that 'Independent woman', 'I'm a Survivor' crap they were singing before then.
And Cassie is hot, but she it's her song that cinched the deal for me. He starts singing, '…I know what to do, if only you would let me, as long as you're cool, you know I'd treat you right...’ Oh and don't even get me started on Rihanna, like a woman would ever be unfaithful to a man...


Good bye to Noni Moss: Aww, isn't it sad when bloggers leave the blog world? Unfortunately, she is a friend of mine so I'm kinda stuck with her but I'm sure the rest of you guys will really miss her!

It's pretty old by now but I still stop everything I'm doing and listen whenever James Morrison's 'You give me something' comes on the radio. Do yourselves a favour and listen to it!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice.Your brother...a real pain...like a lot of brothers. Hope he doesn't really mean all that.

I'm having Noni Moss withdrawal symptoms.

Anonymous said...

Hey you. I'm not really gone. And thanks (to anonymous). I've moved my site to another one with restricted access. So if people send me their e-mail address then I can invite them.

Your brother sounds cool. I totally agree with him. Irreplaceable is crap! :-D
Lolll - but he was only kidding- hopefully! I cant believe you fell for it though! You're soo easy!

It's now - 9 working days till Christmas! I also agree - winter is definitely made for 2. I need the extra body heat!

soul said...

i dated a chauvinist once..

Just long enough to make him my bitch.. lol.

It's all talk, all talk.

Anonymous said...

yeah winter is definitely for couples!

lol@ your brother. too bad many men DO think like that...

Discombobulated Diva said...

I love that Beyonce song as well, but then again I'm a Beyonce fan in general... I'm sure your brother does say that stuff to get under your skin, but as Belle said there are some men that do think like that...

Winter is defintely for the couples... now if i could just find me a nice guy to cuddle up with on these cold nights....
~DD

Poetic Justice said...

I was singing that song (irreplaceable) to my fiance yesterday, he started singing it right back! It got me thinking, some people are really not replaceable, but then again before you find that special someone everyone else is!

Wish I was coming to naija with you girl! Have fun!

LondonBuki said...

3 weeks exactly for me!!! :-)

LOL! Your brother is too funny! I hope he was kidding a little, little bit oh!

Winter's for couples, yeah BUT It's also for me and my U.S. shows that I can't get enough of! Saddo, I know!

NaijaBloke said...

Yes o ..winters r kind of made for couples o ..it has been said that more babies r made during the winter time o ..(Go figure how)..LOL

U have a nice week and u too ..going to Naija ..chie I might pack my bags too

Lowla said...

My first Winter ever and now I can relate.. Yes its meant for couples and I'm glad HE is visiting.. Can't wait..

Look at everyone counting down to Naija Xmas holidays.. I miss Naija

LOL@ ur brother..Most men dont like to hear words like independent women, survivor..hahaha..

Great Blog by the way..

Uzo said...

Yes...Christmas time again...Your brother is just kidding....

Mari said...

Off to Nigeria?! Not you as well!!! Hehehehe, hope u have a fun trip and come back with lots of interesting gists - and maybe a husband. Lmao, just kidding.

LOL@ure bro, u know he's just trying to wind you up. You'll have the last laugh once he's married and is all lovie-dovie with his wife.

Got ure email, will be replying asap!

zaiprincesa said...

lol...ALL BROTHERS MUST HAVE A HANDBOOK WHERE THEY TELL THEM THAT CRAP!!!...my brothers say the same thing..lol....but ive schooled (more like tortured)them to a point where they take what they get oh....and they have started to appreciate a good, INDEPENDENT, woman.

Biodun said...

Your brother is funny
Have fun in naija!
I love that song too n my bfriend likes it too, lol. I sing it to him though when he pisses me off, haha
what is up with beta blogger?

Poetic Justice said...

No! Noni moss can't leave. What will I do without her poetry!

Boorish Male said...

Your brother was probably joking.....

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your comments! LOL and to clarify, my brother was joking but he does it with such a straight face and he manages to wind me up so much! I know (and I've told him) that he's going to end up with one of those 'independent' women because whatever he might say, I know he doesn't respect people who take his bullsh*t.

Favoured Girl said...

It's a relief to know that your brother was only joking!

Hope you are having fun in Lagos. Enjoy yourself, stay safe and keep us updated with your adventures :-)

Noni Moss said...

Ok it's been 9 days. Update already!

LondonBuki said...

Please Madam Vickii! A post before Xmas! Please!!!!

LOL!