Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Love Love Love Christmas

Warning: Do you think Christmas is an over rated holiday created by a capitalist society determined to exploit our consumerist nature and squeeze from us every ounce of spare cash we might have? Do you think we have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas? If you do, please stop reading now as this post is likely to offend you. You humbug!

I don’t think I’ve made this very clear but I love Christmas! And it’s not too early to start talking about Christmas. As far as I’m concerned, as soon as November hits, it is officially the Christmas season. And any true Christmas fan knows that the build up to Christmas is the best bit of all!

I love advent calendars and the fact that you have to wear gloves to keep your fingers from falling off. I love it when the shops start putting up their Christmas decorations and playing Christmas music. Not just carols but all the cheesy songs that would make you cringe at any other time of year! Wham’s ‘Last Christmas’ for example. 'Last Christmas, I gave you my heart ... this year I'm saving my tears, I'll give it to someone special'. I love that everybody seems much happier too. I live in London where the most you can expect is a grunt from a stranger before they attempt to push past you, but at Christmas, people start smiling, they say ‘excuse me’ and (shock) start offering you the spare seat on the tube instead of sprinting over you in an attempt to get to it first. I usually walk into the office grinning broadly at this time of year, and if I start the day like that, nothing can spoil it for me!

I love the Christmas lights on Regent and Oxford Streets! I even loved them last year when they were rather tacky. I don’t even mind coming out of work at 5:30 to a pitch black night because the sight of the lights when I walk to the top of my road and turn the corner, makes it all worth it. I love stormy weekends cuddled under my duvet, I love Christmas movies even though they are rarely any good. I love them even more when they are great, like Love Actually! I even love the cold in winter. It's so crisp and fresh. Don't even get me started on snow! I love dressing up for work Christmas parties and dinners with friends. I love that miracles seem possible at Christmas.

Most of all, I love going home to spend Christmas with my family. This year, the last working day is Friday the 22nd and I’m going to be on the very next train home for four days of annoying family members, and Christmas morning anticipation. Gorging on chocolates and fruit cake for breakfast and spending the day in a flurry of sleeping, eating and playing board games like Articulate and Connect 4.

Did I mention, I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

Ps: Don’t bother leaving any comments telling me it’s too early to be excited about Christmas. I’m all for free speech but I’m banning all anti-Christmas sentiments from my blog!!!

20 comments:

Sean Carter said...

hey i love christmas too and anything and everything associated with it. good to come across someone who also enjoys the spirit of the season.
just take out this amazing Christmas Blog for some really unique and interesting gift ideas and loads of other stuffs.

LondonBuki said...

Love Actually, I can't wait to watch that this Xmas...

I like Xmas too, I spend most of the day with my Mummy and before she fell ill, it was one of the best days of the year cos she was at home all day :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh pls - as infectious as your blog is (i'm immune cos i'm sick due to the dastardly "xmas" weather), it is WAYYYYYY too early to be all Christmasy - you'll be burnt out by the time it comes!

My only concension to Christmas is Starbucks Eggnog Latte - can never come too soon.

Naijadude said...

Although I believe the true meaning of Christmas has been forgotten, so many people doesnt even know the reason behind the Season.
Either ways, I love the aura of Christmas, I love the ambience, I love the weather even though its freezing, I love how we anticipate the snow drizzle on Xmas

Yeah, what do I get this Christmas? From you, that is...hahah

Biodun said...

I love christmas, I love the cheesy songs n lighting up my tree, I love the fact that it is cold. I so wanted a white chritmas so badly, that I flew to London, it didnt snow on christmas though, but it did the day after. It reminds me of my bday which is a day after. I love that people r nicer too n show love cos really christ came into this this world bcos of His love for us! Now u got me humming to "White Chritmas" song, lol

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

Dont forget my gucci bag....being that you love Christmas so much!

Anonymous said...

Lolll - get over it - I LOVE EGGNOG!

That Mariah song is also one of my favourites!!! Would you believe hat my little cousin doesn't know Mariah - ok she may have heard we belong together or some of her new stuff but all those other songs (classics) are now "oldies". I am now officially old - OMG! It's scary ... and totally off point.

My other favourite xmas song is Eartha Kitt's (the original version) "Santa Baby" - i play it OVER AND OVER AND OVER ... :-D

Favoured Girl said...

I like Christmas too. I like the real meaning of Christmas - the birth of Christ. I like decorating my house and baking christmas cakes. But I don't like the hassle of planning get-togethers and the stresses of christmas shopping. Christmas was more fun when I was little and I got "Christmas dress"** and went to lots of parties.

**Did anybody else get those special clothes??

TMinx said...

Chrismas is no fun in Nigeria apart from the fact that theres a party EVERYDAY and ppl com home from all parts f the world but theres no christmas lights on the buildings, no snow or cold..infact the heat is alarming.. AND the amount of times we have to go to church around that period is a lot, especially in my house. God please forgive me.. I love youuuu.

Unknown said...

@ Sean Carter: Thanks a lot for dropping in, loved your site too!

@Buki: I hope you have a great christmas with your mum this year!Watch love actually with her!

@noni moss: I was about to bounce you off my page for your unchristmassy behaviour but since you stopped fronting and came back and got into the christmas spirit, I'll forgive you! I love eggnog and I'll make it a point to try the eggnog latte this christmas!

@ Naijadude:I do agree that in over here, where we have all the trappings of christmas, a lot of people forget that it is celebrating the birth of Christ, but that's no reason not to enjoy it right! What I'm getting you depends on how big and expensive your present to me looks!!!

@ Biodun: Maybe you'll get a white christmas this year? I've only ever had one white christmas ever. Lol at humming christmas songs!

@ Onada: I told you gucci bag for VS lotion ... fair swap!

@ONB: It is so great to find people who really enjoy christmas! After years of presents like gloves(?) and pyjamas (?), my folks have finally caught on and give me money ... all the better to spend on the sales which I hit as soon as the stores open on boxing day! Not long now till I can bring out my DC christmas album, I can't wait! I like the song 'little drummer boy' and the one about the shepherd boy and the sheep ... can't remember what it's called.

@ tp: Oh, so you were one of those girls I was always jealous of who had lovely christmas dresses ... I never did! Lol at christmas being better as kids, I guess it's partly because everything got done for us!

@ taureanminx: christmas is fun in Nigeria, just in a different way. I was torn this year btw going to Nigeria earlier and partying more or spending it here with my family and knowing I'd have missed all the great parties when I get to Lagos! I completely feel you on the Church thing .. I don't mind going, but they are so long and so much more of them at christmas!

Anonymous said...

i just read the rest of your posts.... i really like your blog.. you write very well.

i will heed your warning, and not comment on xmas :)

LondonBuki said...

Thanks :-)

Good idea!

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

who does not like egg nog on this blog? i totally love it!!!!! Noni Moss we should have an egg nog party!

Discombobulated Diva said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Discombobulated Diva said...

And here i was thinking i was the only one still excited about Christmas... girl, it my favorite time of the year as well and nothing beats a nice, cheery, festive and cold Christmas (except maybe a 100 degree Christmas in Naija).... but either way, i'm glad to hear others get as excited as I do when the holiday seasons rolls around...

~DD

Anonymous said...

Lolll - yes Onada - Egg nog for everyone!

NaijaBloke said...

Xmas is da bomb in Naija o ..I guess if u go from another part of the world ...men xmas party every xmas day and new years day rocks in my house ...

Xmas sucks in this country,except for all the lights.

Unknown said...

I love the lights on Regent Street and Oxford Street!! They are absolutely beautiful!! Last year, I made sure I had some pictures of me taken with those lights and this year, I'm dragging hubby there too. Its going to be a family tradition!!!

low said...

CONNECT 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Now u r gonna make me go look for the game as i did with super nintendo!!!...lolll

lovely post

Uzo said...

HATE EGG NOG!!!! Oh i love xmas. I love the presents and how much happier people seem to be. I love the fact that a lot of my friends from outside the coutry come home for xmas and i get to gossip and cry as they leave. I love it.