Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What's different this time?

His were the first eyes mine met when I walked in
He came over immediately and gave me a hug
He held on several seconds too long
There's nothing different about that

We've known each other about twelve years
We've been attracted to each other ... oh, about twelve years
We see each other a couple of times a year
And those few times, it's as if we're the only people in the room
The tension in the air between us is so real
I avoid his eyes for fear of what I might see, or what I might reveal
He always has a girlfriend
There's nothing different about that

We laugh a lot
Then I go and find my friends and he walks back to his
I'm lost in conversation when I see him fall into the seat beside me
"Why are you sitting here when you could be talking to me?" he asks
We talk. We flirt
There's nothing different about that

We start to dance, very closely
It feels very intimate and for the first time since I met him, I'm at a loss for words
I was a shy twelve year old with a big crush then
What is my excuse now?
This is definitely different

He leads me away from the crowd
Alone now, I feel like his gaze is burning into me
I can't look at him
He pulls me into a hug, to reassure me
Then very softly, and so briefly that I wonder if I imagined it
His lips touch mine
This is definitely different

We go back to our friends
Except for furtive looks and the occasional sly touch of our hands
We are as we always are
We say our good byes and head home
The next day we're back to being friends
Friends with a history, but friends nonetheless
There's nothing different about that

23 comments:

zaiprincesa said...

OMG!..did u tap into my brain, girl???..lol..Im serious..im feeling ur words, cus they r a replica of how i felt a while back..with my crush..But ive learnt some things are best left alone..unless u r ready to deal with what might be with Mr. 12 years, and all the possibilities that come with going from "friends, to more than friends".All the best girl...Happy V Day!

Vera Ezimora said...

Ouch. I don't like situations like this one. It's so grey. It's neither black nor white and one is often confused about where 2 stand. Friends? Lovers/possibility of being lovers?

????

I wish u the best o. Happy Val's day. First time here

Biodun said...

Wow, I have been in a similar situation in the best, but mine went down hill, lol. I know the feeling, wot is a girl to do?

Favoured Girl said...

Ah that's your "what-if" guy. Every girl has one. The one that you keep wondering "what if" things went further, but you might never know. I had one guy like that right up till I was engaged to someone else. Then he decided to make his move. Threw me all up into some mad confusion. I'll blog about him one of these days. Watch girl, one day something might actually happen.

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

LondonBuki said...

You write so well!

Must be so confusing!

Noni Moss said...

This is really good and I can totally relate. This is different. :-)

Olawunmi said...

this is beautiful writing. damn. and the emotion is something i can relate to.

maybe you ought to just bite the bullet and see where it goes with your friend. or else you will always wonder.

Uzo said...

I have been here. Its a weird place to be...Excellent piece

Anonymous said...

Wow, you brought back so many memories. Fortunately I was finally released from that feeling but when I was going through it, boy did I hate it!

Mari said...

How confusing these things can be. I look back to when I went thru something like this and smile. Am so glad its over. So glad I got over him.

Very nice post. Happy belated vals.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

good post vicky! i can see where u can coming from....its an awkward place.

1511th said...

Did u write this yourself? You are a good writer babe.

Nice post

Bella Naija said...

Wowwwwwwwwwww!
I feel u so much on that one.
Very eloquently written too.
Possibilities...

Azuka said...

Great stuff. I still haven't gotten over some people, but then...

Mak said...

Simply Beautiful.

P.S I love the way you write

Justme said...

The "What if" guy! Good luck with this one

Daddy's Girl said...

This is beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

i could only imagine how this feels... 12 years is a long time... there is power and real beauty in your words babe

Discombobulated Diva said...

that was so well written... 12 years is a long time... how come you guys never try to see where it could actually go between you two... its obvious the attraction and feelings are there...

~DD

BiMbyLaDs** said...

wow.. deep.. nicely composed.. u do sound like u still feel for this guy! sometimes it works out.. most times it doesnt.. in all this, most importantly, protect ur heart becuase from it are the issues of life .. all the best gurl

Confused Naija Girl said...

Very well written girl. I have never been in a situation like that-so I wouldnt know but I could feel your emotions

Mr.Fineboy said...

Nice Vicki! Hmm....very deep! Check out my update!

Anonymous said...

this one is very solid, I like it, brings back a lotta mem'ries and thots.....hhmm, keep it up.

Usually, feelings that we often dismiss are the ones that matter most-which should have been given more attention.