Monday, February 05, 2007

I'm glad we're friends again

My title might give the impression that D and I stopped being friends but that's not very accurate. D and I met in school and to be honest I don't think either of us were particularly big fans of the other. It's not that we actively disliked each other, more that we didn't care for each other. But we were part of the same group of friends so inevitably we hung out.

Then I moved to England and a few months after, out of all the people I would have loved to also move to England, sods law would have it that it was D. You know how when you're somewhere different, you turn to familiar people for comfort, I guess that's what D and I did because we started talking a lot on the phone and soon we were really close. We didn't see each other very much because she was in London and I was in Birmingham but for two years, we would talk on the phone all the time. We knew every detail about each other's lives, the big things as well as the stupid little mundane things. Even though we were both broke students, if one of us bought something for ourselves, we'd buy one for the other too. Thinking back, I don't think I've ever been that open with anyone ever.

Then we went to university and we drifted apart. It's completely my fault because I got caught up in a whole new life and with a whole new group of friends and I admit I neglected my old friends a lot. It was only when one of my neighbours told me that my mum was upset that I never took her calls or returned her calls that I realised just how much I was neglecting the people that mattered to me. It wasn't on purpose, there was always something going on and I was always going to call them back later, except that later wouldn't come around for a really long time. D and I drifted apart and I didn't really notice because I had lots of new friends. However, she would still be the one to call me at 11:58 on the eve of my birthday and leave me a really long message so she could be the first one to say happy birthday, and I'm ashamed to say, I never remembered her birthday. I remember once we spoke and she was telling me about something really important that had happened to her a couple of months ago and I was only just hearing it a couple of months later. There was a time I would have known about it the very moment it happened. I don't think I even made the time to talk to her properly about it.

Fast forward about three or four years, we still saw each other occasionally and spoke once in a while but we weren't anywhere near as close as we once were. I guess maybe she stopped making the effort too and she obviously had lots of new friends. In fact, I don't know anyone as popular as little Miss. D. She knows and is known to everyone! I moved to London and we started talking occasionally and went out once. About 9 months later, we worked together for a couple of weeks which was nice and in the last couple of months, we've started emailing and talking a lot more. I'm finding myself opening up to her the way I once used to and I hope she's doing the same. Maybe we'll never go back to how we used to be, but I just wanted to say, 'D, I'm glad we're becoming close again.'

22 comments:

Noni Moss said...

hahahahahah first! Ok now i'm going to read it. (i normally dont like people that do this but I haven't been first in like forever!

Noni Moss said...

Hmmm.... You used to ignore your mum's calls - you should be ashamed!

You are very annoying with the phone albeit getting better. Well good for you that D is open to making an effort and that you're trying as well. Hope things work out well.

1511th said...

OMG, I can't believe you wrote about me. I am crying here at work...thanks for that!

I was bad at returning calls too, so it wasnt your fault.

I am really glad that we are back on track again cos i really miss your positive influence in my life. See how you got me jogging, even though i never thought i was the running/jogging type of person.

But you do know I never stopped opening up to you right?

1511th said...

lol my first comment in like forever (since i stopped blogging)

Azuka said...

I'm guilty of this too. I've been avoiding calls from family for quite a while. It's good you're getting together again...

LondonBuki said...

It's really sweet you guys are friends again... :-)

As for Kunle, can you LIKE get back to blogging SHARPISH! LOL!!! Hope you're good.

Anonymous said...

awww... that's fantastic that your friendship is getting back on trap... Here's to re-discovering old friends... cheers luv

naijabelle said...

that was deep! its only normal for friends to sometimes drift apart and am sure nothing has really changed when it comes to how you feel about each other.

Unknown said...

I lost my best friend this way too.....and I never got him back.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i think this is a very heartfelt blog post! and i'm glad you guys are back in touch and close!

Biodun said...

Awwwww, this was such a nice post n it truly came from the heart. I have some friends that I am guilty of neglecting also n this makes me want to give them a call or send an e-mail. Thanks for that!

Confused Naija Girl said...

i have been there. drifting apart from friends. Its good you are back in touch with her sha cause good friends really good ones are hard to find.

LondonBuki said...

I see you put your pretty face (and long hair) on your profile... :-)

Uzo said...

Oh your picture is up. You are sooo sooo beautiful. Wow.

Discombobulated Diva said...

sometimes you don't realize how much you'll miss a friend til you've drifted apart from them... luckily you guys are back in touch... just always make the effort, cause its always worthit for a good friend...

~DD

Mari said...

Cute picture on ure profile.
This is a very sweet entry. Hope it works out btw the both of u!

LondonBuki said...

Vickiiiii!!! (LOL)

May 28th is a Bank Holiday so you shouldn't have to take that day off...

TMinx said...

sob sob! I went through aperiod of neglecting my frinds too cos I couldn't cope with having different groups of friends and trying to get them all to like eachother. Then I realised they didn't have to lol. Nice write up Vicki.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwww i have some friends that i lost that way , nice that u guys are back in sync

Favoured Girl said...

Aww sweet story. I have friends like that too. Some are in different countries, so it's only when we hook up that we continue our friendship from where we stopped. Nowadays there should be no excuse not to keep in touch, cos there are so many forms of communication. But as we all know, life and work gets in the way and you start to drift apart from people you care about.

(PS: Lovely pic. You are pretty!)

chidi said...

cute pic u have on ur profile. as for the piece, its a very good one cos it reminds us all about pple we hve bn neglecting.i'm guilty of that 2

Daddy's Girl said...

Relationships are so important but can sometimes be complex to navigate. I'm glad you two are growing closer again. Great pic - you're so pretty!