Monday, January 15, 2007

The Best Two Weeks of My Life

Hey People,

Hope you all had a really good Christmas and New Year!

I’m back … and really wishing I wasn’t. It’s taken me a while to blog about Lagos because I had no idea how to put the last couple of weeks into any sort of coherent blog format. But I’ve now given up on that and decided to just write about my holiday as I remember it, so pardon the randomness and enjoy.

I had so much fun I can’t even begin to try and describe how much. Three of my good friends were also in town, and it was the first time in 11 years that we were all in the same place at the same time. But that’s the funny thing about old friends, we all met up for cake (and ice-cream) at Chocolat Royale and within 5 minutes it was just like old times, no awkwardness, no lulls in conversation, just funny banter and catching up on the last few years. I can’t go on enough about how nice it was just hanging out with them and going out together.

Ooooh, I met a couple of fellow bloggersLondonBuki and Taurean Minx. They’re both really pretty and so nice and friendly. It’s pretty cool putting faces and names to your blog pals. I also met up with a couple of other bloggers who I know; Onada (one of the three friends I just talked about) and Noni Moss; believe me when I say that girl can party like no man’s business. My holiday would probably have been slightly more chilled if it wasn’t for her.

I met so many interesting new people in Lagos. Shock of all horrors, I’m actually thinking that I might want to live there for a couple of years. I know you’re probably thinking, ‘Ehen, so what? Are you not Nigerian? Is it not home? It is a natural progression jare’ En en, until I went back last Christmas, I was adamant that there was no way on God’s good earth I would ever move back to Nigeria… never ever. More so, I couldn’t understand people whose ambition it was to move back. It just didn’t make any sense. After I spent Christmas there last year, my position shifted a tiny bit; The only way I would ever live in Nigeria would be if I married a Nigerian guy (which at the time I thought was very unlikely) and he absolutely, positively couldn’t live anywhere else, and even then, there’d be serious talks! So imagine my surprise when after a week this holiday, I started thinking that maybe, just maybe, there might be something to this whole moving back thing after all. I’m taking my time to think about it, I don’t want to make any rash decisions based on my consumption of too may cocktails at Churrasco!

Hmmm, coming on to the topic of guys … lol, apparently, I’m hot stuff in Lagos oh. First of all, I met (completely platonically) a couple of really nice guys who gave me some faith in the Nigerian male species. I might just tell you more about them and some of the other guys I met but that’s a whole different topic for a whole other blog. Let’s just say I really enjoyed getting to know new people … ha ha. Oh, and another shift in my mindset is that I’m not as anti-Nigerian men as I once was; who knows, I might even end up marrying one.

I love going out in Lagos! In fact it would probably be accurate to say that I go out as much or more in Lagos as I do the entire year in London. It’s just so much fun, and its great catching up with people. Bars I loved this year were Piccolo Mundo and Currasco. I love a place that knows how to make good cocktails! Unfortunately, the club everyone goes to is still Bacchus and considering how tiny it is, I really didn’t enjoy my one night there. After that, we went to Bacchus lounge a couple of times and I had my absolute favourite night there! It was the first Wednesday after the New Year and the night before everyone resumed work on Thursday so it wasn’t very busy compared to what it’s normally like. But there was a good group of us and it was so much fun! We played this game my sister invented where you have to do a really stupid/crazy dance but keep a straight face while everyone around you dissolves into fits of laughter … and everyone joined in. It was just a really amazing night, and the first time since I had been in Lagos where 5am came around way too quickly!
Mmmm, and the food … Yellow Chilli and Terra Culture are the places to go for your Nigerian food. I ate goat meat peppersoup and pounded yam with okro both times I went to Yellow Chilli and loved it both times. Not to make anyone jealous or anything, but I ate suya, and Chinese food Naija style (which has the added benefit of being peppery), jollof rice and plantain (even though I only had plantain twice the entire time I was there … shame!). Actually, the only thing I didn’t eat was yam for breakfast and not as much puff puff as I would have liked.

Okay, I’m sitting at my desk daydreaming about food so I’m thinking it’s time for me to shut up about Lagos, but not before I say one last time what an amazing time I had … easily the best two weeks of my entire life … until next year, that is!

13 comments:

Boorish Male said...

Welcome back!!!!
Did you hook up with Mcnaughty again. Thanks for the birthday wish. Glad you enjoyed your trip home, isn't it amazing the way things have changed in Lagos, there is so much to do, I'm so glad I moved home.

Uzo said...

Wow. What a mind shift. I am so glad i moved back home..I am glad you had fun...Piccolo Mundo is a pretty neat spot....Definitely should hang out when you come back...

Anonymous said...

i think its fair to say that I am JEALOUS!

lol

Noni Moss said...

Lolll - wow you definitely had way too much fun. I think you need to settle back into work pronto!

I'm just hating. Nice to have you back and I dont party that much! Geez! Although admittedly i did go out more in the time that i was there than my entire year put together! :-D

Unknown said...

@ Boorish Male: lol There was no hooking up with McNaughty, only saw him out a couple of times.

@ Uzo: We should definitely meet up when next I'm in Lagos, wish we had thought to do it on my last trip.

@ Belle: Lol ... it was fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Now I can't wait until December. Let's hope PH has such a pull on me.

Confused Naija Girl said...

welcome back! i am really jealous ohh! Its good you had a nice time in Lagos.

Bella Naija said...

Welcome back!
happy new year
Seems like u had mad fun....I'm glad that u've had a change of heart...as per naij.
Anyways, lookin forward to more gist..

ciao

Biodun said...

Welcome back n happy new year too. Naija sounds like so much fun during xmas, I must go this year(amen) Glad u had a blast. All that food u mentioned is making my mouth water, lol

Mari said...

Hello dear, welcome back. I can't wait to hear more juicy stuff bout your trip. You better think long and hard about moving back to Nigeria. It really isn't a bad idea but not everyone is cut out for it esp when you've been away for too long. I know I'm going to do it in a couple of years.

Anonymous said...

awwww... I always knew Buki would be a gorgeous chick.. and Taurean MInx self.. just looking @ her eyes you can tell say na fire babe!!! lol.. so the party scene in naija is hot eh?... lol.. now you're making me crave naija oh.. i think i'll go this xmas.. cos it looks like it'd be tons of fun!!! please bring up all the other foods and I could stand it.. but not SUYA>. you know how much i'm craving that stuff right now!oh excitement.. if you're in Naija this xmas... we could probably meet up and go to a party

4wardnfiaca said...

nice hear u had fun.
naija is the place to be when u know where to go

LondonBuki said...

Ha! Vickii, Me? Really Pretty? Now everyone thinks I am a hottie! LOL!!!

I will blog about meeting my blog pals soon and I will give a LONG description of you incl. THE HAIR!!! :-)

Yellow Chilli - was good BUT I stupidly ordered efo instead of the omelette in the 'Platter' - YUCK!
I went to Picollo Mundo too but that was after you'd left Lagos! We kept on running into each other :-)

I had yam for breakfast a few times :-)
I ate so much puff-puff one day, I thought I was going to BURST!!! And that's the only day I did not have an upset stomach! Hmmmm....

Right now, I have ZERO thoughts of moving back to Lagos... maybe my feelings will change with time.... Maybe.