Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Summer is Finally on Its Way!

We thought summer had finally come to England but it turns out we were very much mistaken. It’s been raining for the last two days. Funnily, I really don’t mind … because my summer is on its way.

The only season that rivals my love for Christmas is summer. I have spent the last 11 or so years trying to decide which time of year I like more and I'm still drawing a blank ... they're just too different … I have to say I love them both equally! Summer is just so much fun and I feel like I’m high on happy pills the entire time. I challenge anyone to be in a bad mood after looking out of your window in the morning to see the sun reflecting off everything it touches; trees, houses, cars - you just can't!

And has anyone noticed just how much more social summer is? There is always something going on. I could literally go out every night of the week if I wanted to. Everyone seems to be doing something for their birthday, people want to go for drinks after work or grab a bite to eat out at lunch, people have parties just because, friends that live in other parts of the world always pop into London at some point during the summer and bbqs and lazy picnics in the park are regular weekend activities. Oh and one of the hugest perks of the summer is that all the hot guys seem to come out of the woodwork, or whatever cave they've been hibernating in all winter, if hibernating means getting all buff for the purpose of being eye candy in the summer. Hey, all I'm trying to say is summer hones my appreciation for God's good work.

The highlight of summer for me though has to be going to Greece! We go every couple of years and as children, we spent almost every summer there so for me, it epitomises every thing that is ‘summer’ about summer. All my best summer memories feature Greece in some way and every time I smell that salty air which suggests that the sea is nearby, I think of Greece. Let me tell you what I love so much about Greece…

Well first of all, we have a lot of family over there that we never usually see and it’s great seeing them and catching up on the last couple of years. And an added bonus is the fact that they spoil us so much! They always invite us round to their houses for food - Mmmm food, I'll get to that in a bit - and they always get us presents and if they come to visit us, they bring a Tourta (decadent, fresh cake with cream/chocolate/fruit - usually all three) or Pagotinia (little ice creams, either little cones with ice cream or little balls that look like a collection of chocolates but are actually ice cream on the inside) from a Zaharoplastio (Patisserie). And since we're on the topic; Greek food is amazing! Seriously, all you foodies need to visit Greece and make sure you have Pastichio (baked layers of pasta and mince topped with béchamel sauce), Moussaka (baked layers of potato, fried aubergine and mince again topped with béchamel sauce), Kleftiko (the most tender lamb and potatoes cooked in a clay oven in which a fire is lit and let to burn for several hours then all the fire is removed and the meat is put in to be cooked by the hot coals only), Loucoumades (pastry balls fried like puff puff which are saturated with hot syrup) and Souvlaki which is our all time favourite. It's pork skewers barbequed and put in a bbq pitta bread (Greek pitta is different from other pitta) with tzatziki, Greek salad and some chips. It might sound like a Kebab or Shawarma but it's so different and so much better! Oh and the seafood; little fishes cooked whole (I have no idea what they're called), grilled squid stuffed with cheese, octopus ... mmmm. Even regular pizza is amazing in Greece.

We usually spend a couple of days in Athens shopping and visiting friends and family and then we go to Xilocastro for the rest of the time. Xilocastro is in Corinth and it's where my Yaya has an apartment right on the sea front. You come out of the apartment building, cross the road, there is a small forest which you walk through and then the sea is right there. It's not the most beautiful beach in the world and there are always a few days in summer where the sea is full of brown jellyfish who take all the fun out of swimming but I can't even begin to describe how it feels on those very windy evenings when the waves are so huge that swimming isn't an option so we sit on the beach and watch them instead. And I remember the time before, I was lying on the beach as the sun set, listening to Michelle Branch on my Discman loud enough that the music was the only thing on my mind but not too loud that I couldn't hear the sea and for that hour or so, I could 'see' what that saying 'the world is your oyster' meant. There is something about the sea that makes me realise just what a gift life is and what an amazing place the world can be. When I'm by the sea, it's like all the bad stuff in the world is non-existent.

Xilocastro is just so laid back. We wake up in the morning, sometimes to go and get breakfast, sometimes to go for a walk in the woods with Papou. We have breakfast then go to the beach, we swim, hang out with our friends and sunbathe till about 1:30pm then we go home, have a quick shower and have lunch with Yaya and Papou. Then we have an afternoon nap or read till 5:30ish, wake up, chill, then go back to the beach. We stay there till 8:30ish then come home, shower, get dressed and walk into town where all the restaurants, bars and clubs line the sea front and usually where we meet our friends. It’s also where the two outdoor cinemas are. It’s just so quaint watching a movie outdoors, with a 15 minutes intersession so that you can re-stock on food. We always do this walk, even if we're not going to eat out or go to a bar; it's just what we do, what we've always done. We usually get home after midnight, or early the next morning if we go clubbing, play cards (my brother turns into a bit of a card shark in Greece), chat then go to bed and wake up the next day to do it all again. It's just … bliss.

So, I'm not trying to make you jealous or anything but I'm going away in three weeks with my brother and Gavity. Onada was supposed to come to but I don't think she'll make it. It’s only for 10 days but I can’t wait, my summer is finally on its way!

21 comments:

Noni Moss said...

FIRSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take that LB!!!

Noni Moss said...

Oh I want to go!! You make it sound soo nice! I've been to Crete but not actually stayed in Greece. But the food was really good and you make it sound yummy.

Call me ignorant but what happens when you're swimming and you see jellyfish? How do you avoid them? I just had a nightmare image of you swimming and then being surrounded by them. Jellyfish are those floating ones with long tendrils right? I almost mistook them for starfish (those are the ones which sting you and you need to pee on it? I remember that episode of friends ;-))

I know what you mean by what the ocean (or at least a large body of water) does to you. I went to the lake district last year during my chrisis I'm growing old birthday and I remember sitting on the pier of lake windermere at 5 am - it was utterly still and soo peaceful and I started crying cos it was soo overwhelming.

My summer is NY - AND I'M GOING NEXT WEEK!!!!!!! Yah!!!!!!!!! I love love NY and I try and go every year. Hope you enjoy your holiday and bring back lots and lots of presents - namely booze and those sweets - i forget what they are called that they serve as desserts?

LondonBuki said...

Noni, I just allowed you jare... I didn't want any tantrums ;-)

LondonBuki said...

You know Vickii, I actually thought I was liking you more and more... but this post - I AM NOT HAPPY!

Why do you have to make your holiday sound like paradise? Why can't you just say, I am going to Greece... why all this? :-(

Anyway... all this Greek food descriptions... I am weak, hungry...

I know you'll have fun with your family... :-)

Mari said...

Vickii, I can see you love your food. Never made it out to Greece while I was living in Europe but I had some greek classmates and we used to spend alot of our evenings at a nearby greek restaurant close to school. The food was always lovely. My fav was what you described as Kleftiko though I'm not exactly sure if that was what it was called on the menu.

Now you have me dreaming of a vacation by the seaside. Have fun for me.

Anonymous said...

You mean while people are sweating it out at the NYSE you are enjoying the heck outta life. Men, life is about choices o...
*Signs and clicks on her outlook for a glimpse of her next vacation*...

Azuka said...

Vivid images...

I'd love to go.

Mimi said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww u really didnt want to make us jealous oh.. like seriously..!

some of us are still going to be stuck in rainy England. Have fun Missy!

An-Igbo-Dude said...

nice blog

keep it up

soul said...

I can't help but wish you a good time.
Anyone who can go find some sunshine should just remember to smile under the sun for me jare...

Enjoy :)

Uzo said...

Well..there you go....Sounds divine...making all our lives sound like crap...So there....

And then Noni going to NY?

Silly heifers///

O.šeyï said...

OMG dont get me started about greek food! i love, looove greek food.
I know the pita bread is SOOO different i cant explain it. I love it most with the Taramosalata Dip. I'm not so fond of the Tzatziki dip though, the yoghurt. oh and my fav's were: Spanakopita and Tiropita but the whole i cant eat cheese thing ruined it for me! Now i live with Dolmathes which isnt so bad. hehe. Yummmyyyy! :D i like the Psarosoupa soup as well... its fish with vegetables and stuff.. (well im sure you knew that!) : )... okay i'll stop. *sigh* i miss tonys!!
Anyways, my brother always ordered the same thing: Chicken souvlaki.. hehe. i thought it was cute.
Didnt make it out this summer, but i'll definietly try for next summer. Maybe Xilocastro too! I'll let you know how i my experience!!

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..... I love this post... although the only greek food i know (courtesy of jimmy the greek) is shawarma, souvlaki and olives? lol... I love how you described it.. i feel like i've been there or something.. and if I could I would.. it sounds lovely.. lucky for us in Canada.. we're still having awesome weather so I can't complain unlike all these sad londoners moaning about the sunshine lost.. lol.

eddiie said...

Aha?...Uganda? No summers..no autums...no springs...no winter..

Just Dry and Wet seasons...Its shines and sleeps....

It rains but not exaggerated. Just a simple one to kill the Dusty Kampala streets and we are back..

I hardly see sweaters...

Nonesuch said...

i want to go to Greece

Unknown said...

All this talk of greek food is makeing me salivate seriously..... LOL!!

Have a lovely holiday.

Naija Vixen said...

All this talk of greek cuisine is making me hungry! Im reading of paradise on here and looking out of my window to see the rain falling...thanks ever so much Vickii...lol! Have a fab holiday!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Too late!!! oscar green wit jealosy!!! Naughty gurl

cinnamonqueen said...

Okay... I need to go back to Turkey for another two weeks. Oh no, summer's almost over.... :(

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

im terribly depressed!!