Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Best Two weeks of my Life
Humongous Houses and Chapmans

Noni Moss’ day to day account of her adventures in Nigeria inspired me to blog about my own day to day itinerary. Actually I’m just doing follow follow and copying Noni’s idea.

Day 1 (27th December)

Noni and I got to Lagos on the same evening; different flights an hour or two apart. In true Noni style, by the time I had gotten my luggage and called her, she had sorted out our evening plans and dismissed any thoughts I might have had about staying in. I'm a part of the VGC massive so I knew that refusing her would mean risking her coming to my house and waking up my entire family in order to make me come out. Basically, resistance is futile. With that in mind, I went home, had dinner with my aunt and uncle, changed my top, put some make up on and went out. We went to a house party in Lekki thrown by a girl who apparently has one every year. She had a huge, huge, gorgeous house! Honestly, every year I go back, I spend a good amount of time just gaping at the huge, magnificent houses some people have. I always make it a point to walk around VGC just to look at all the new houses and re-affirm my commitment to marrying a rich man and becoming a lady who lunches … joke! Anyways, back to the party, apparently there were 400 people in her garden and it didn't even look crowded so that should give you some idea of how big it was. It was a really good party and I got to see lots of people that I knew. It was very surreal seeing friends who I made in London and who I've never seen out of London, but it was nice. There must have been twice as many people in Lagos this year as there were last year. We left about 3am to go home to get some much deserved sleep.

Day 2

I woke up kinda late and then dragged myself to the hairdressers. I have long hair which might look great when it's all nice and styled but it's a nightmare for someone like me who really hates faffing around with hair and makeup. So I was in heaven at the thought of going to someone who would wash and set my hair for me for the very reasonable sum of 600 Naira ... that's like £2.50! I emerged sufficiently beautified but at a high price! I honestly thought my head would explode when it was under the dryer. Seriously, how do women do that every week??? Anyways, I got home, slept for an hour and then went to a friend's dinner party with Noni. There were some really cool people there, especially two guys and a girl who had all started their own production company together. It was the two guys that really impressed me because father time and mother experience have presented me with very few Nigerian guys who have impressed me. They were very opinionated (as I find most Nigerian men are) but what I found interesting was that they had obviously put a lot of thought into the opinions they held. They weren't just arguing for arguments sake or because they were too proud to admit that they might be wrong. After one particularly long discussion in which I held the opposite views to theirs, I found myself coming round to their way of thinking by the end because of the sheer persuasiveness of their arguments. And they just had so much respect for women (one of them even referred to himself as a feminist); for example they expressed disappointment at mothers and friends who convince their daughters/friends to stay with husbands who cheat on them or beat them because in their opinion, every woman deserves better. In short it was an ideal dinner party, and everyone got on so well. We went to Saipan after which I enjoyed. I really like their live bands! Congratulations are in order for Noni because I think she may have met her future baby daddy that night ha ha. Read her post on her adventures in Lagos to find out why I’m finding that so funny. And then it was on to Bacchus which for the first time, I really didn't enjoy. It was too packed for us to dance together, and there were some drunken guys fighting most of the night. Another relatively early night.

Day 3

I didn't really do much all day. I was supposed to be going to a family friend's engagement which started at like 1 but I didn't get there till 5. It was so much fun and the first time I got to see all of my old school friends since I'd gotten to Lagos so that was really nice. We took loads of pictures, drank loads of Chapman (how did I ever get through last Christmas without drinking it even once, I wonder) and spent a huge amount of time studiously ignoring the two groups of men with the talking drums who positioned themselves by us. I got back to VGC around 9ish and rang Noni who invited me to dinner at the VGC Chinese restaurant with her Uncle and Aunty. Mmmm, I completely support her verdict on the chicken though I can’t believe she remembers what number it was on the menu! And I had my third Chapman of the evening!

Oh, have I mentioned how much I love VGC? For me, it’s proof that things in Nigeria can actually work under good management. The roads are paved (which is nothing short of a miracle in Lagos!), they’ve got palm trees and a park which are obviously well maintained, there was a fireworks display on New Years Eve, there is a shuttle bus service which runs regularly, good security, I could go on and on. If I ever move back, I would love to live somewhere like that.

Day 4

I spent the day with my little cousins. Or rather spent the day in the hairdressers with my little cousins while they did their hair. In the night a few of us went to a friend’s birthday party. Cue another beautiful house with the garden lit by candles, the pool filled with balloons, two bars serving cocktails, food, and small tables dotted around the garden and the pool. And she had a dress up policy which means everyone looked really nice. It was a really nice party and the kind that only ever takes place in Lagos.

10 comments:

Mari said...

There's more to come I hope? The last time I went down to Lagos I didn't get to see the famous VGC everyone talks about. If am not mistake, I believe a Hungarian lady runs the place.

I love and hate getting my hair done back home. Jst like u said, sitting under that drier is always a nightmare but you can't beat the price.

Looking forward to more of your adventures.

Noni Moss said...

Lolll - you're very funny. I dont know why you're trying to make out like i dragged you kicking and screaming everywhere - it's not like you weren't up for it!

Unknown said...

U sure had fun!! I missed all this the last time I was in lagos. Did u Spend only 4days in Lagos? Where's the rest of the gist? LOL!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy Lagos was such a wonderful experience for you. I'm wondering if PH would be that nice when I head back in December.

I don't like parties but I'd sure have loved to listen to a good educated argument...

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

VICKII i miss Lagos! we have to make plans to hang out more this year!

LondonBuki said...

I still haven't been to VGC but Lekki - YES with the Horrible Roads.

Oh yeah people, Vickii has long hair and I am jealous, I am sure I told her already!

Vickii, I forgot to say I loved the dress you wore when I saw you at Bacchus Lounge, very cute!

TMinx said...

londonbuki, feelamonger oshi loll! Just kidding,where r the reat of the days?

Anonymous said...

Whao...Now i really really wanna go to Lagos oh... this is pain and torture for me...arghhhhhhhhhhh... i'm glad you had fun sha... all this british babes self.. noni moss, londonbuki, noni moss...thank God the place was able to contain all of una sha!... awww@your long hair... that's so cute.. i always wanted!!! thank God for weaves... lol

Noni Moss said...

Loll - yeah weaves are a blessing. Vickii - how far with the rest of the days now? Update ojare! :-D

(the nigerianess hasn't quite faded yet ;-)

NaijaBloke said...

O my home, when shall I see my home again ...

Naija here I come this summer and this December as well.