Monday, November 20, 2006

Random Musing - Language vs. Story

A friend of mine is a writer and she often sends me her stories for my opinion. The other day, after telling her my opinion about a story she had written which I loved, she commented that she felt I often got too caught up by the story to give her a clear, objective and technical analysis of her writing. I'm obsessed with reading and extremely particular about grammar and language and all of that good stuff that I paid attention to in English class, but I realised that when it comes down to it, the story is more important to me than the skill of the writer.

That being said, I hate bad or sloppy writing and I'm constantly amazed by how many university graduates I know who cannot put together a decent sentence. But as long as the writing is of a good standard, then all I need is a good story to keep me happy. In fact, I'll go as far as to say the story is the most important element of any literary work. Much like clothes and people, the writing should accentuate the story and tell it in the most fitting way possible but it should never overshadow it.

For example, one of the many criticisms levelled at 'The DaVinci Code' was that it was badly written. I didn't notice because I was way too caught up in the story. And I am so in awe of JK Rowling's imagination that I honestly cannot comment on whether the Harry Potter books are well written or not because that is the last thing on my mind as I curse the tube for being unusually reliable and getting me to my stop on time thereby forcing me to put down her latest 800 page novel. But if I were to venture a guess, I'd say she's not the only billionaire author because she 'writes really well'. Zadie Smith on the other hand, is a technically amazing writer and while 'On Beauty' did grow on me eventually, let's just say I was more than happy to get to the end. There were several amazing sentences littered throughout the book, but I never got swept away by the story or really gave a damn about any of the characters.

This is just some very random musing on my part, and bear in mind that I want to be a book editor/ maybe author/ I am obsessed with reading when you wonder who in God's name muses about stuff like this!

11 comments:

Uzo said...

You are a woman after my heart with this piece. Reading for me is escape and for pleasure. I cannot stand books which to my mind are convoluted with proper language and punctuation but lack passion and pizzazz for me. I love the Da Vinci Code because i could not stop turning the pages. I adore Harry Potter books because my imagination is tantalized and i find myself, a 26 year old wanting to be a part of Hogwarts. I like those thrashy romance novels that describe throbbing hearts and sweat filled brows because they tease and excite me. Well written? Who cares?

Zadie Smith, i cannot stand. I too bought On Beauty just because i heard so much about it. I could barely make it through. The fact that i cannot not finish a book kept me going.

I am the same with movies. Critcally acclaimed movies like American Beauty and The Hours bored me to death but bring on Spiderman and even Monster-In-Law, i enjoyed immensely.

Fabulous piece...

Anonymous said...

lol...i felt like i was sitting in front of you listening to you randomly spit words...I Like...Also, im a HUGE HUGE...Bookaddict!...I get lost in all kinds of fiction...Who knows..maybe someday, ill be getting lost in ur books too. Hmm, can i get ur autograph now??:).Great Post

LondonBuki said...

Zadie Smith - White Teeth... why haven't I finished this book? Upon all the hype, the plot was dry! Too much Grammar, no story! When I read, I want to enjoy... I don't want to be trying to understand the English!

I have to say I did not really enjoy DaVinci code especially when they went into all the history... I was bored. I preferred Angels and Demons.

As for Harry Potter, the first four were fantastic... as for the 5th and 6th book, they were just ok.

Uzo, I agree with you... most of the Oscar winning movies especially that STUPID American Beauty, I always dislike!

I love this post!
P.S. I am reading Half of a Yellow Sun right now... I read Purple Hibiscus and it was simply written BUT very interesting.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i think if the story is great how its written doesnt really matter. Most people buy books for the story.....but at the same time it depends on how badly written the book is, for example, people rave about purple hibsicus but i thought it was badly written so i didnt get into the story at all and then there's da vinci code, even though some people think it was badly written the story was great.......

Anonymous said...

Errr hmmm, I'm not sure I agree. First of all I loved American Beauty!! How could you guys say you didn't like it? TAKE IT BACK THIS INSTANT!! Loll

Ok, I love to read as well. Sometimes, it doesnt matter how great the story is, if it isn't well written, my mind will always get caught up into the errors i'm spotting. Books like Zadie Smiths are hard to read because each and ever sentence is carefully thought out to be as long and descriptive as possible. You spend soo much of your time grasping the whole of the sentence you miss the story. However sometimes, the story is soo great, you push past the bad writing. James Frey's - a million little pieces is a prime example. Once you get past the fact that he uses absolutely no punctuation, the story grabs you. However DaVinci Code was a page turner up till like 3/5ths of the way. Angels & demons was much better.

I think it depends on your personal taste and style - i tend to like simple sentences which get to the point but still challenge my intellect - however, i also appreciate the odd mixture of more flowery (in a methaporical sense) sentences or words.

Unknown said...

@ Uzo: I have to second the whole hating Oscar winning films, sorry noni moss but that definitely includes American Beauty. In fact, if a film is nominated for the Oscars, I'm always guaranteed to not like it ... only exceptions I can think of are Crash and Cold Mountain.

@ Buki: I preferred Angels and Demons too, I thought it was a better thriller.

@ Onada: I can't believe you hated 'purple hibiscus', I thought it was a good book! Did you really think it was that badly written?

@ Noni Moss: I've heard James Frey's 'a million little pieces is amazing, I need to check it out!

@ ONB:I think you could definitely become a journalist and I'll definitely take you up on your proof reading offer in the future... same if you decide to do something 'reasonable' with your writing too okay!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this piece and I agree with you - sometimes the story makes up for a lot, sometimes not. I agree with you and Uzo about a lot of 'critically acclaimed' movies (although there are exceptions) - sometimes I think most critics must be very dry people.

Anonymous said...

I concur!

It seems anything interesting always lacks 'literary merit.' I think the literary circle is full of stuffed shirts who like to thumb their noses at people who don't follow all the rules

Ludlum has been criticized for using too many dashes, but I never noticed them either.

When you read a book with the intent of looking for errors -- and find a lot of them -- why shouldn't it not be interesting?

Daddy's Girl, I hate critics!

Unknown said...

@ Azuka, anyone who reads a Ludlum book and notices in the midst of all the non-stop action that there are too many dashes needs to be smacked around the head with a huge book!

LondonBuki said...

LOL!!! I have read A LOT of Ludlum books and I cannot remember any dashes!

Uzo said...

Dashes? Robert Ludlum? I need to go check it out....LOL